Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
10 days in Kauai....too long???

Posted by stephmc72 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 04 at 11:52

For those of you that have been to Kauai, is 10 days too long? My husband and I are planning a trip that was to be 10 days, on just Kauai. But as we're talking to people, we're being told it's probably too long, and that we'll get bored (not enough to do on the island).

Anyone have any thoughts on this??? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 10 days in Kauai....too long???

Although we have not been to Kauai personally (and would LOVE to include it in a future trip!), my research tells me that ten days might be a little long for some people. It really depends on what type of vacation you are looking for. We have spent two vacations in the past three years on Maui and the Big Island. Some friends spent their honeymoon on Kauai and became bored by day five, but then, they were looking for constant entertainment--this island was not a good choice for them. Island hopping is generally not recommended unless you have at least two weeks for your vacation, but, we are thinking that a good combination would be five days on Oahu, and five days on Kauai (we plan to do this ourselves). But for pure relaxation and beauty--ten days on Kauai would be VERY enjoyable.

o

I would enjoy the 10 days, I am into nature, not entertainment. Sounds like heaven to me.

o

We were there for 10 days last year and we never sat still. I was exhausted by the time we got home, and we did not do everything we wanted to do.

I don't know anyone could get bored. If you're the least bit active, there's PLENTY to see and do, however a lot of the tours are expensive. The extreme helicopter tour (no doors on the 'copter!) is absolutely awesome. So are the various boat tours around the Nepali coast. My husband went diving (he's PADI certified).

Be sure to buy a copy of "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook; Kauai Revealed" (doughty & friedman). It is an excellent source of information about what to do and where to go.

o

I can't imagine how 10 days in Paradise could be too long!

o

I've been to Kauai many times, for as long as 10 days. In fact, DH doesn't want to go unless we can stay for at least 10 days because it takes him a couple days to unwind. Plus you "lose" two days traveling.

There are lots of hiking trails and hidden beaches on Kauai, so you will not be bored, unless you want nightlife. Depending on where you are staying, you will be spending a good portion of each day in the car to get to different places on the island. You cannot drive "all the way around" the island, so for example, if you're staying on the north shore and want to visit the Waimea Canyon, it will take more than an hour to get there and back, so that will kill a whole day by the time you drive up into the canyon. Same thing if you want to check out Polihale Beach on the west coast.

When I vacation, I like to sleep kind of late (9:00 or so) and get a slow start to the day. So by the time we get ready to go somewhere, it's nearly noon. We spend the afternoon doing some activity, then try to get back to the hotel/condo by 5 or 6 so we can get ready to go to dinner. What I'm getting at is this: you may want to just do "one thing" every day, and you will find more than enough to do in 10 days. Hiking, sitting on a beach doing nothing, kayaking up the river, snorkeling, checking out the shops in Kapaa, taking a boat tour or helicopter tour, going to a luau, etc.

Like others have said, it really depends on how active you want to be. My husband likes to spend vacations just sitting around, while I like to see and do different things. So we alternate days. One day hiking, kayaking, driving or snorkeling, the next day just sitting on a nearby beach.

I have LOTS of photos and travel notes, so email me if you want more info. I LOVE Kauai!

Kathy

o

steph-
What is it you're anxious to get back to? Some people manage to spend 365 days a year in Kauai and not be bored. I guess it just depends on what type personality you are and what you expect from a vacation. I've got a friend who has a high-powered job at Microsoft, and goes nuts if he has to sit in a beach chair with a book for more than half an hour. I've got another friend who has a job on Wall Street, and considers it a big sacrifice to only call in to the office twice a day while in Tuscany!
On the other hand, I find it very easy to be a lazy bum for days on end. I'm not making a value judgment (well, maybe a little), but it just seems that the answer to your question is in yourself. If you are psychologically ready to relax, 10 days in Kauai is going to be great!

o

Thanks for the replies, my original note was posted a year ago. My Kauai trip was last September 2004. We had a great time!! Thanks everyone!

o

It really is not possible to say if 10 days would be too long because everyone takes vacations to Hawaii for different reasons but my husband and I have been there three times....twice with family for 9 days but of course the first and last days were spent arriving and departing, the last time we only had 4 days because we were staying mostly on Oahu. However never have we been there long enuf yet to become bored. We are hoping for another trip in March and hope to stay three weeks this time as it will be our last. Hope you enjoy as many days as you choose....have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here