Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
road trip

Posted by mom2emall (My Page) on
Sat, May 16, 09 at 22:21

Hello all. My family and I are going to be taking a roadtrip to the west coast this summer and I am looking for any cool things to stop and see along the way. Not really museums or things like that. We are looking for more outdoor nature stuff to see as it will be summertime.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: road trip

A bit more detail as to traveling from where on the East coast to the West. Adults only/ kids involved? budget? Hotels? B&B's? camping? RVing??

How much time do you have??

o

It will be me, hubby, and 4 kids between ages 7-14. No RV or camping. We are on a budget. We will be traveling from Michigan to Arizona.

o

Moab, Utah...I really enjoyed that. Lots of trails in the National park. Also Sedona, AZ. There is a little town very near Sedona that is built on the side of "mountain" I think it is Jerome....vary quaint, lots of artists, sorry I not sure of name but starts with J. Its a bit scary, I really hate heights but even for me it was worth it.

o

Figure around 100.00 per day for motels. Food and gas is high also. How long will you be on the road? Figure washing clothes, take stuff for sickness or diarrhea. Watch the drinking water as this could cause problems, especially for the children. Bottle water--again $$ unless you buy it at Walmart etc.
From MI to Az should be ok, but So AZ is very hot, so plan to stay in the Northern area. There is alot to see between home and AZ. Get maps, plot a general course and go on the internet. Jerome is nice, but very difficult to park =it is a mining town, not much for kids. When you get to a city, ask about the local stuff. Many towns have free or very low cost places. Stop and let the kids run in a park. We use to plan to eat lunch/dinner at the local parks so the kids could get exercise. But, do watch them and keep your car locked all the time. We found that after 3 days of driving, we needed to stop for about 2-3 days to rest. Do you belong to AAA? They have lots of information. You will find the smaller towns friendlier, safer and cheaper. Since my son lives in MI and we used to have relatives in AZ, we did alot of traveling, but then we had an RV. You can rent a motor home, but figure cost against motels etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here