Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Venice, Florence, Rome

Posted by foggyj (My Page) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 17:59

We just returned from a vacation to Italy. Had a great time.
Venice is really another world. No cars, or anything else that runs on 4 tires. Everyone lives among all the tourists. It's crowded-Laundry hangs out between windows, etc.

Florence is definately for art lovers. Beautiful place.

Rome, fantastic. Very crowded, and full of tourists from all over the world. However, the sights to see there are incredible.
I wish more people would share their travels experiences on here.

America has dropped the ball on an international transport system. Europe has a wonderful train system between lots of cities. All clean and well run.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Venice, Florence, Rome

I agree w/you in general about mass transportation, but how could America have an international transportation system? We are connected only to Mexico and Canada and have so many immigration and Homeland Security issues. Also, the USA is so large and the train is a comparatively slow way to travel. It doesn't compare to the situation in Europe.

o

Do you mind me asking how long you were there for? We are going for 13 days this summer and we are going to the same places but we are also going to Milan and Lake Como. We are trying to figure out what tours to in Rome or if we should just wing it as we are going with an 8 year old? Any suggestions would be great.

Also if you don't mind me asking what are the prices like for food and drinks there. We have heard that they are reasonable by some people then others say its expensive.

Thanks

o

I posted to your other thread but let me add a few things here.

The food was just like anywhere else-you pay what you want. The pizza and pasta is amazing- that is pretty much all we ate. Also, gelato. So good! We did not find anything to be overly expensive.

Our hotels were between 100.00-175.00. and they were great. Some were very european and older and some were new and modern. All hotels include breakfast. I have the names of the hotels if you would like them.

We do not do tours. We do some research on what is available and then ask about activities at the hotels. You can always get a guide at your attraction.

We were there for 17 days and went to Venice, Milan, Cinque Terra, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri.

Personally, I think an 8 year old would love Pompeii.

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 3:18

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here