Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
California trip

Posted by Butterbud_ (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 04 at 20:45

Hello - Planning to take a bus tour in California this fall (September) Any recommendations? Is that a good time to go? Would start in San Fran, see wine country and wind our way down to San Diego. Thanks for any ideas. Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: California trip

Being a native of Northern California (San Jose) I am partial to this end of the state. Wonderful things to see would include San Francisco (several days), Wine Country, Yosemite (couple of days), Lake Tahoe (couple of days,) Carmel and Pacific Grove (couple of days.) Those are most of my favorite places. Personally I don't care for Southern California, not even San Diego. If time is short, focus on Northern California and on another trip head south.
Ginny

o

On the way down the coast, don't miss Big Sur.

Jen

o

I lived there as well...north and south. So much to see...you will have a wonderful time. Sept. is a beautiful month. Enjoy, enjoy!!

o

DH and I honeymooned in Napa/Sonoma in October a few years ago. It's a beautiful time to see wine country. We especially enjoyed a hot air balloon ride over the vineyards.

o

I would focus on Northern California as well. San Francisco is a beautiful city, unlike any other in the U.S. Start at the top with Napa Valley and work your way down the coast. Yosemite is a little out of the way for doing your trip this way, so it would depend how much you enjoy the nature/national park scene--my parents live near by so I didn't have to make the choice based on a single decision! Traveling down the coast through Monterrey and Carmel is a treat--simply beautiful, you won't want to go home! On one trip, we continued all the way down to Pismo Beach and rented a hotel room on the cliffs and spent the last few days lazing around enjoying the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks. Enjoy your trip!

o

San Diego is beautiful. Be absolutly sure to spend at least one day at the Zoo (one of the best, if not the best in the world) and also try to take in Coronado island. Do a search for the Del Coronado hotel and take a trip back to the days of classic hollywood. I spoke at a conference there once, and it was fabulous--so much history.

Lynne

o

Thanks so much for your ideas. Decided to go with Globus tours which will include much of what you suggested. Thanks again.

o

Stop in at Laguna Beach - it is a beautiful place!

o

I think you will like Globus tours. A friend of ours drove in Europe for several years and DH and brother did many tours with them. Never unhappy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here