Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicago vacation ideas

Posted by Jewels_KS (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 04 at 15:58

My sis and I are taking our annual vacation to Chicago next month.
I've been looking on some sites of fun things for us to do.
Does anyone have any ideas for me?
Hotels, food, entertainment, shopping, museums, etc.
We are trying to get Oprah tickets, but that will be a bonus.
Thanks for any help.
Jewels

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicago vacation ideas

Jewel,

My favorite museums are the Art Institute and the Shedd Aquarium, followed by the Field Museum of Natural History. If you like German food, eat at Bergdoffs (I think that's it). Great food, beer and Manhattans.

Nedra

o

Took a Sat morning cooking class with my daughter at the Calphalon school (1 blk from Oprah's studio). That was different and fun. If you haven't seen Blue Man Group, that is a fun evening. Art Institute is one of the finest museums anywhere. Also, architectural boat tour is very relaxing and you see Chicago in a 'new' way.

o

DH and I went to Chicago a couple of summers ago. It was a great time (unfortunately we were only there 3 full days). The German restaurant referenced above of The Berghoff, and it is WONDERFUL!! We went on a Friday night at about 4:30-5:00 pm and got right in w/o a problem.

If you want authentic deep dish Chicago style pizza, I would suggest Pizzario Uno (the original site is great). Pizzaria Duo is the same thing, I think, just their second location right around the corner.

JanMD suggested an architectural boat tour. That was by far the best way to see and understand Chicago, from Lake Michigan. There are several different types of boat tours that emphasize different aspects of the city, such as architecture, history, etc. Definitely worth the time and $$.

We stayed down near the Shedd and Natural History Museum and right across from Grant Park. There was a Jazz and Blues festival going on the whole time we were in town, so we headed down there each night. It was great, and I think that there are festivals almost every weekend in Grant Park all summer long. Ravenia Music Festival is quite a bit north, but also very good.

I'm not much of a shopper, so we didn't go to any of the high end fancy shopping (but we did take pictures of PETA in front of Norstrom's protesting fur coats).

I'm jealous--have fun!!

o

I was in Chicago this past Friday and Saturday on business but I did have some pleasure. I bet you've enjoyed a walk down the Magnificent Mile but did you stop at Garrett's for the yummiest caramel popcorn and cheese popcorn? Have you been to the 94th floor of the John Hancock Building? The view is super!! Have a great trip!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here