Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Germany?

Posted by jxbrown (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 13:18

I would like to take my mom to Germany next summer. We would like to visit her grandparents' hometown in northern Germany. She visited Germany a few years ago, but neither she nor my father are very adventurous so they only saw the usual tour spots. Between us we speak a bit of German and I have lived in Germany in the past (albeit while working for the U.S. Army), so getting around by car and train is easy for me. My mom is healthy and athletic (i.e. she can schlep her own bags), but will be 75. I'm thinking that besides the tiny hometown we might visit Osnabrück (close to tiny hometown), Dusseldorf, Heidelberg, Bamberg, Passau, Regensburg, maybe even Austria. Money is not an object, but we also aren't very fancy, so we aren't comfortable in the fancy-schmancy hotels. Any good ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Germany?

We went two years ago to see where my great grandfather was born. How much time will you have? Regensburg is a long way from northern Germany.

Is she interested in history, architecture, shopping?

Germany does have a bed and breakfast system that might suit you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here