Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Novia Scotia & Newfoundland

Posted by janMD (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 03 at 10:19

We're thinking of flying into Halifax and renting a car for about 10 days. Don't know much about the area. Recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Novia Scotia & Newfoundland

Hi Jan,
I'm from Nova Scotia, what would you like to know?
meg

o

We don't know where to begin in our planning, but here's what we enjoy:
- exploring on our own, taking the out-of-the-way drive off the beaten path
- beautiful scenery
- history
- arts and local crafts
- local restaurants (not chains)
- hiking (a few hrs. at the most, not overnight backpackers)

We are in our late 40's, children grown. We live in the Washington DC area and like to get out with 'real people'.
In researching where we could go someplace new, we discovered we could fly into Halifax in less than 4 hrs - even with a plane change. We would then rent a car and start exploring.

If you can give us an idea of what to expect, we'd be so grateful! I've looked at tourism websites and we've studied the atlas. It looks like there are lots of towns. Are there lots of tourists? We're thinking of mid-June. Will that be a crowded time? Should we have reservations for every night?

Also, I checked on the ferries between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. The options are confusing - Also, in looking at the current status, it looked like some were running yesterday as much as 5 hrs behind schedule. Is that normal?

I have a multitude of questions (as you can tell!). I will absorb as much as you're willing to share!!

THANK YOU!

o

Hiking- Cape Split is a must in NS! The trail starts near Scott's Bay, as I recall. Great sunset view.

o

Hi Jan,
No problem, ....just email me directly and I'll give you lots of ideas!!

meg

o

Hi Jan! Did you get to go on your trip to Canada's East coast.This year spring and early summer were very cool.Let us know how your trip went.I'm originally from Newfoundland,and we have a cottage there we visit every year.We'll be heading down there for three weeks on aug 9th.

o

Yes, we did make the trip in early June. The weather was sometimes cool, but we were prepared. Rain seemed to happen when we were traveling by car and beautiful sunny days when we wanted to hike.

We especially loved Newfoundland. We took the ferry to Port aux Basques and then drove up the west coast to St. Anthony. Eliza Ann, I'd be curious to know what area you are from. We'd like to go back sometime. It was a very special trip - and very reasonable in cost.

o

Hi jan .sorry to be so late getting back to you,just haven't been around this site for awhile.Glad to know you enjoyed your trip to Newfoundland.I have lived in Ontario for 30 plus years,but Newfoundland will always be home.I'm originally from the north east,central region of the province.I grew up in a little town called Carmanville,and my DH came from a slightly larger town called Norris Arm.Our cottage is on Exploits Island,a tiny island off the north east coast in the bay of Exploits.We go there almost every summer and really enjoy the peace and quiet.

There's no doubt that Newfoundland has some unique scenery.If you ever go back the road to the isles "twillingate area" and the Avalon penisula are amazing.St Johns is the oldest city in North America and has an old european charm if you stay away from the new areas.Instead of taking the ferry from North Sydney to Port Aux Basque,you take it to Argentia.newfoundland has a longstanding relationship with the United States,as thousands of gi's were stationed there on three large american bases during and after ww two.Also many Newfoundlanders immigrated to the new england area,mostly Boston ,long before Newfoundland joined Canada.Sorry to be so long winded,but I've spent much time travelling on motor trips all around your beautiful country and am happy to see that you enjoyed a little part of my birthplace.

o

kathe - I accidentally deleted the email you sent. If you will post here & tell of your interests, I'll be glad to give recommendations based on our experiences.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here