Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solo to Italy

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 11:00

Hello -

I am just getting started in planning a trip to Italy, hopefully this summer (2010). I will be going alone. I'm interested in a cooking class or 2, food and wine, some history, pretty and quaint villages, and the like. I've seen enough churches and cathedrals during my travels to last a lifetime, so not so interested in that. I'm not comfortable with renting/driving a car over there, so will depend upon taxis, perhaps a tour driver, etc.

I've been to Tuscany before with a large group; it was the best vacation of my life. I wouldn't at all mind going back to that region but certainly am not limiting myself to it.

Since my trip will only be one week, I guess it'd make more sense to stay in one spot where there are things nearby that can be walked to or easy cab ride, and then maybe take some day trips from there.

Please offer any suggestions and tips about solo travel, places in Italy that you've visited and loved and why (I understand that this is all subjective, but it would be helpful to hear your views), things to avoid, how to not spend copius amounts of money, stay safe, etc.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solo to Italy

Hi, Suzi

Maybe you want to cross post to the Kitchen table. This forum seems too quiet.

We have been to Rome and to Venice. Both were wonderful. Hotels are expensive in Venice, but you can walk everywhere once you are there. I don't know about cooking schools, sorry.

I've heard that Amalfi is wonderful. Try looking for a Rick Steves book at the library. I hate his show, but his books are very useful.

As for staying safe, carry your money in a money belt under your clothes. Avoid taking a purse. The hotel usually holds your passport. The rest is more generic - avoid alleys etc that don't have streetlights, and walk with a sense of purpose.

Have fun!

o
RE: Solo to Italy

Thanks, colorcrazy. Yes, because this forum is so quiet I stopped checking back for awhile. I appreciate your response.

I'll take a look for Rick Steves' book. I, too, have heard that Amalfi is gorgeous.

Suzieque

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here