Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
family vacation to Hawaii????

Posted by gma_j (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 03 at 19:59

Our family of about 12 (ages 58 down to 4) want to plan a family vacation in Hawaii hopefully next year. Any good information anyone has for us to cut on expenses and still have a wonderful time would really be appreciated. Has anyone made accommodation for a large group over the internet? Also, which island would you all recommend? Thanks in advance for anything you could share with us.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: family vacation to Hawaii????

Our family loves Maui. We have been to Hawaii a few times and will go back there again this year.
We like to go in August. The weather is beautiful and the prices are lower at that time of year. We stayed on Oahu for a few days the first time so that we could visit Pearl Harbor (an awesome experience) and visit the Polynesian Cultural Center. The Center was interesting and told the history of Hawaii. We went to a Luau there and suggest that you not waste your money on that particular banquet. We then ventured on to Maui and found that we loved it there.
The last time we went, we were on Oahu long enough to switch planes to go to Maui.
We stayed at the Palms at Wailea on Maui. This condo was not on the water but the beach was about a 5 minute walk away. The condo cost us $1000 for a week for 6 of us.
It had two bedrooms and the living room couches came out into beds. The kitchen was very modern and stocked with utensils, pans, etc. We bought groceries at the local groc store. There was a washer and dryer in the condo also. Everything was very clean. (I am a neat freak so this was a big plus)
On Maui go see the moon rock scape or whatever they call it. It is lava a they claim it looks like the surface of the moon. It is kinda neat but eerie. You can watch the sunrise from the crater at the top of the island. Very nice.
Of course you must take surfing lessons and go snorkeling.
We flew to the Big Island to see the active volcanoes. That too is awesome. Lahaina has a luau that is wonderful and a must for a visit to Hawaii.
We love it there and will be going again this August.. If you would like any more info please let me know.

o

DH and I stayed on the Big Island in June 2000. We stayed at the Royal Kona Resort, which is wonderful. Get the book "The Big Island Revealed." It has a ton of great information about the places to see and things to do, and it was very rarely wrong. The Royal Kona has packages for family reunions and such, so ask about them. They will help you out. Have fun!

PS- any chance we're related? I wanna go back LOL!

o

I also love Maui and agree that if you get a condo you can cook some of your own meals, it will be a lot cheaper. They do have a McDonald's on the island (at least when I was there). We bought a blender and mixed our own frozen tropical drinks. Definitely go see the sunrise from Haliakela - it is breathtaking. We made a trip around the island to Hana and we saw some magnificient waterfalls and plant life, but this is a long trip and we stayed overnight in Hana. ENJOY, I want to go back so badly.

o

My husband and I haven't been to Hawaii. However we do plane tickets bought for Maui in March of '04. We've been ordering all the Vacation planners kits and brouchers we can find on the internet. Have gleened much information. We are really looking forward to going.

o

You can't go wrong with Maui, but my favorite by far is the Big Island. Beautiful beaches in the Kona area. The incredible volcano. Lovely rainforest and beaches on the Hana side. And, even cowboys and ranches in the mid-section! The Botanical Gardens is a wonderful kid and elder friendly trail through beautiful topical landscape.

I also think it's a little cheaper than Maui overall. The downside is that travel times are longer. It takes a few hours to get across the island for day trips, etc. As I said, however, you can't go wrong -- I LOVE Hawaii.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here