Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone been to Cario?

Posted by foggyj (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 06 at 19:07

Going to view the pyramids. Heard everyone has their hand out for tips. Can we use American dollars for this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone been to Cario?

American dollars, unlike Americans, are beloved anywhere. Be prepared to tip, and brace yourself for the children begging in the streets, even in the middle of the night. Cairo is a city of staggering poverty.

More tips: If you are female, or if there are females in your party - cover up. No shorts, sleeveless tops, see-through anything. Be very, very modest. A woman should wear a wedding ring, married or not. She should not go out in public unaccompanied. A male companion is best, preferably a husband or a guy who will pass as one. Unattached Western women are relentlessly hit on in the Muslim world, no matter what their age (I have a lot of experience with this, lol). It's funny at first, and then it's a royal PITA.

If you are going to the pyramids, take a camel ride. It's a great experience! Camels are very easy to ride, they sway gently to and fro, following the guide, and it's a fine view from way up there! You mount them when they are lying down and they gradually rock into a standing position.

If you have time, go with a companion to the Khan el Khalili and have tea at Fishawi's. It's a true Egyptian experience and they know how to treat tourists.

Be careful, be alert, and have fun! And report back to us!

o

Thank you so much for the info. I was planning on trying to ride a camel. How often does one get that chance?!! I was just reading about how over-populated Cario has become.
We're doing the river tour to Luxor, etc.
Let you know how it goes.

o

The combination trip to Paris/Egypt was great! no problems anywhere. Can't imagine going to either of those places without a guide. In Paris, went on a walking tour, then went back, using the great Metro system to see more. Very cold and rainy.

Egypt was a whole other world. Quite primative. Very poor country. They like tourists and are very friendly. Always felt safe everywhere.
The Nile River tour is great. Highly recommend it.

o
RE: great places to visit.

See post under title.......anyone going to Cairo?

o

Foggy - So happy to hear that you had a fine trip! Where did you stay in Cairo? Did you have your camel ride?

I confess that I was a bit concerned. Friends of ours took a tour to Egypt in Jan2002. Her DH didn't want to go, but she was set on seeing the pyramids and tours were very inexpensive after 9-11. I didn't want to say anything to discourage them. Their tour group was surrounded by armed guards all the time, whenever they left the hotel. They were not allowed to step away from the group. It was pretty rough. I'm glad that things have improved there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here