Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Germany in U.S.

Posted by Elly1 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 04 at 15:34

Hi,
My significant other and I are thinking about going on vacation together. We have been together for 30 years and have never taken a vacation together..

He is really into things German (he speaks it fluently), but we cannot afford to go to Germany or Austria. We were wondering if any one has any suggestions about German speaking areas of the U.S.?

We live in the Boston area, and would love some sort of bus trip!!

Thanks in advance...

Elly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Germany in U.S.

New Braunfels, Texas is a great place to visit. It was founded by Germans. In fact most of my ancestors came from Germany and settled in New Braunfels. There are many old timers there who speak German, lots of antique shops, restaurants, etc. The Wuerstfest is an annual event with lots of German food, dress, etc, that lasts over a week. Then there are the rivers....the Landa River and the Guadalupe River both run through New Braunfels. There is lots of rafting, tubing, swimming and fishing in the area. The Landa River is spring fed and brrrrrrr cold!
Another area that is actually in New Braunfels city limits is the old ghost town of Gruene. Well, it was a ghost town. Now it is a thriving area full of cute shops, b & b's, restaurants, etc. The oldest continually running dance hall is there and has live music Thursday-Sunday, with pretty good performers. There is a great restaurant inside an old gristmill that overlooks the river. Food is great! On weekends there are many motorcycles in town, so there are many bikers, kids, antiquers, shoppers, tourists, water lovers, and music fans walking around the little town. It's a great mix!

Another advantage is New Braunfels location. It's only 15-20 minutes to San Antonio, about 40 miles to Austin, and it's right at the edge of the beautiful Texas Hill Country. Another near-by German town is Fredricksburg.

I don't live in New Braunfels, but I go as often as I can.

o

Hi Maryann,

Thank you so much for your response, and please let me apologize for being tardy in thanking you.

It sounds like a wonderful place, but I neglected to say that we live in Boston, MA and Texas is a little far away for us. What would you think about Pennsylvania Dutch (I understand it is really Penn. Deutsch as it was settled by Germans)?
Does any body know if German is still spoken there?
There are many bus tours to that destination, and neither of us drive!
Any other thoughts?
Thankis
Elly

o

Try this link, there is a calendar of upcoming events.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kutztown Chamber

o

Thank you both so much...
Elly

o

I am guessing this is too late, but here goes: Wisconsin was settled extensively by people from Germany. We have many descended from Danes & Norwegians, as well. Also, many from Poland. The biggest ethnic group here are those descended from German immigrants. Having said that, I can't think of anywhere in the state where the German language is commonly spoken. You can find a good restaurant that serves German food, we have one here in Madison, & there are several in Milwaukee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here