Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re: Mexico

Posted by minigreenhouse (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 13:33

We are going to San Diego, Ca., next week. We will also go to Tijuana, Mexico for a day trip while we are in San Diego. DH told me that we could bring back to US $400 of goods duty free (each) from Mexico.

What would you buy from Tijuana and where would you visit while in Tijuana?

Any info would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re: Mexico

I can't imagine buying anywhere near $400 of stuff in Mexico, but when I go to TJ I usually buy Kahlua (about $8-$12 a bottle). Friends buy Tequila but I don't go near it. Also, I buy prescription meds, namely birth control pills and antibiotics. I have also bought muscle relaxers (Soma- about $35 a bottle). The clothes and jewelry is all cheap knock-offs so I usually stay away. If you get a chance, go to Cesar's. This is where Cesar salad was created! Who would have thought that Cesar salad came from Tijuana?!?! Are you just going to TJ, or south? Puerto Nuevo is a little fishing/lobster village a few miles south of Rosarito (about 1/2 hour from TJ). You can get delicious lobster (lingostina--the little ones), shrimp, and fish meals with tortillas, rice, and beans. Very yummy and very cheap! Last Sept, I went to Ensenada (about 1 1/2 hours south of TJ) and we hired a driver to take us to the Mexican wine region about 45 minutes inland from Ensenada. The wine wasn't very good, but the olives were delish and it was a fun adventurous day.

I hope this helped you a little bit. Let me know if I can help with anythign else. I don't go into Mexico that often, but I do enjoy going for the day every once in a while. I live in Orange County which is about an hour north of San Diego. Enjoy your trip!

o
RE: Re: Mexico

naughtykitty,

Thanks very much for your response. You have given me some good idea re things to do in Mexico. I like every one of your suggestions and surely would like to try it when we are in TJI.

We have never been to TJI, how safe is it to travel to Puerto Nuevo with a driver? I love to see the real Mexico not the tourism places. I also do not like to pay tourist rates for a taxi drive in Mexico? Is it possible to get local taxi driver rate in TJI?

We will be leaving for San Diego next Tuesday morning and I am very excited about the trip.

Again, thanks for your info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here