Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cruising around Mediterranean!

Posted by HeidiHoHum (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 1:58

I know I could look into some travel books and I will, but I usually rely on word of mouth for things like this...

My family (me, DH, DS--9 y.o., and DD--7 y.o.) are going on a cruise around the Mediterranean. I would love any hints you could share as to what to see each day while we are in port. We will have about 6 hours in each port with the exception of Greece which will be 12 hours.

Here is our schedule:
depart Genoa, Italy
Naples, Italy
Catania, Italy
Corfu, Greece
Dubrovnik, Croatia
end Venice, Italy

Thanks so much for any advice, opinions, etc!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cruising around Mediterranean!

Go to Cruise Critic dot com and you'll find tons of info and quite likely even other folks who are cruising with you.
HTH

o
RE: Cruising around Mediterranean!

Dubrovnik is unbelievable and is great for walking as it has no cars. Make sure you take a walk on top of the city walls. They also have wonderful handmade silver jewelry which you'll find in shops as you walk the back streets.

I hope that you have more than 6 hours in Venice as you can't begin to see it in such a short time. Besides things like the newly rebuilt opera house and St. Mark's Square, you should consider seeing the art museum that Peggy Guggenheim created in a former palace. There is a tourist center at the train station where you can get deals on things like cheaper tickets for the water taxis and discounts for multiple museums. Go to Murano, the island where most of the blown glass is created. They also have a museum on the history of glass and some of the pieces are more than 2000 years old. And don't eat at the tourist places...find the little hole in the wall places where the locals go for better prices and better food.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here