Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new york city here we come

Posted by good36 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 03 at 20:15

Well it is all set we are going to NY city in June. We got a flight out of Grand Rapids Michigan to New york for $183.00 booked and bought! Made reservations at the Marriott Marquis for $239.00 a night. I would love to find out what we need to go see. Has anyone been there and have any idea's?
thanks
judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new york city here we come

there is tons to do. what do you like to do? the best thing to do in new york is just to wander new york. i'd forget the major tourist sites like the empire state and just wander around soho, the west village, up 5th avenue around 59th st and central park. if you can afford it, i'd choose a fabulour restaurant each night for dinner--that is one thing nyc has that is hard to find elsewhere--extraoridnary food/atmosphere--but cheap it aint! consider taking in a show--the musicals are quite a production. definately go up to the metropolitan museum. if you like opera--look into seeing s show at the met. search on this forum, i think others have asked similar questions. good luck, have fun!!

o

Take a carriage ride through Central Park; the United Nations tour is interesting; I loved walking thru the diamond district, of course a trip to NYC ought to include Radio City, and I loved the Doubleday Book store.

o

!st I would find out the 800 number (18005551212) of "I LOVE NEW YORK" and have them mail you their brochure. It will have lots of ideas.

How long are u staying??

Here is miy suggestions:
1- Empire state building
2- Rockefeller center
3- United Nations
4- Brooklyn Bridge
5- Battery Park with a boat ride to the Statue of Liberty
6- A boat ride AROUND MANHATTAN
7- The Word Trade Center area (close to Battery Park)
8- Wall Street and Trinity Church
9- 42nd street & Broadway (Times Square)
10- Central park (DURING THE DAY ONLY) at 59th street
11- Fifth Avenue from 34th street to 59th street

Get a GOOD map of NYC and get a subway map (free) it is the best and fastest way to go in Manhattan + walking. Figure that North-South is ONE mile per 20 blocks.

Have fun!

o

If you're a David Letterman fan, try getting tickets; link attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: CBS

o

There are some previous threads you could do a search to look at some tips, maybe. But, since you're at the Marriott Marquis, go downstairs to see Thoroughly Modern Millie. We saw it in October, was great! It won best musical, best actress and some other awards. You'll enjoy it I'm sure. I'll write a few more of my favorite things another time, I'll get my thoughts together!

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Millie

o

If you can go downtown, try China Town for great dim-sum...Little Italy for a coffee and cannoli at Ferrara's...or a great dish of pasta at one of the Italian restaurants...Soho...which is south of Houston (pronounced House-ton) Street. great artsy fartsy shops and stuff...Washington Park and the NYU area (part of Greenwich Village) is great walking too!

o

If you love shopping, don't miss Macy's at Herald Square, Bloomies, Tiffany's, Lord & Taylor. Natural Museum of History, MOMA, Guggenheim - all great places to visit. - great upscale boutiques (nice to window shop and dream) are nearby. I agree with getting to SoHo and don't forget Tribeca (triangle before Canal Street) - very artsy and trendy. Chinatown and Little Italy are a must. If it's not a clear day don't go up the Empire State building. The Statue of Liberty is just as nice to see from the water, instead of wasting time going there, I would take the Staten Island Ferry across and back - it is FREE. Takes about 25 minutes one way. Don't forget St. Patricks Cathedral across from Rockefeller Center and near Saks Fifth Ave. If you are trying to go to see a popular play, try to get tickets now. You can still get 1/2 price tickets at Time Square, but you have to have time to spare and wait on line. If you are interested in geneology go to Ellis Island. You may need to stay there a month to do all of this, HAVE FUN, June is a nice time of year to visit NYC.

o

hi,
I'll be in NYC this Wed and Thursday....are there any nice places to shop in the Manhattan area that aren't tooo expensive?
Meg

o

Meg - the Chinatown/Canal Street area has some bargains. They sell a lot of designer look alike pocketbooks, belts, etc.

o
just back from NYC!

I'm just back from NY, it was INCREDIBLE......I stayed at the Marriot Marquis.......went to Rockerfeller Centre and did the Today show (even got on tv!!).....went to 11 on Maddison for dinner, that was superb.......went to Bloomingdales.......got Letterman tickets.......just a fantastic time.....I'm already planning a second trip!!!
Meg

o

Hey Meg, I wish I knew who you were, I watch the Today Show most mornings! Next trip, let us know what you're wearing and we'll look for you in the plaza:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here