Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our First Cruise - How Do we Carry Money

Posted by dexx215 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 12, 05 at 20:05

We are going on our first cruise, Caribbean Princess, to St. Thomas, etc. I'm not worried about looking after our wallets on board, but when we get off ship and go shopping, sight-seeing, on the islands, how do you carry your wallet, credit card, etc. Hubby carries wallet in back pocket, and plans to just wander around like that, but I think pick pockets could do short work of that. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our First Cruise - How Do we Carry Money

We have only gone on Royal Caribbean and there is a safe in the room. We take cash, credit card and travelers checks and put in the safe what we don't think we will need for that day.
We are leaving from San Juan on Jan. 30th. on Adventure of the Seas, our ports are Aruba, St. Thomas, St. Marten and Curacao.
You will love it, or at least we do, this is our third, or almost, last year we were to go out of the port of New Orleans, La. and a tanker and supply ship hit and we could not leave port, we stayed on board for three days and then got a plane home, just one of those things.
But, it is great
My husband carries his wallet and credit cards and cash in his back pocket, I always take a small purse, with a shoulder strap, and that is what I take my cash and credit cards.
Wishing you a wonderful time.

o

Just back from port in Jamaica, Hubby had credit card in wallet, in swim suit pocket in front.

No Problem, Mon!

o

We have been on a couple cruises and each time DH carries his important items (id, cash, credit cards) in his front pants pocket. He usually takes the items out of his wallet if the wallet will be too bulky for the front of his shorts/pants. Being the mother and carrier of all things, I usually use a small purse that can carry the camera (unless we have the cam-corder in its case and then DH carries it), my identification, shopping needs (AKA money!), and of course a fresh water bottle for the thirsties.

If you plan on doing some shopping and getting souveniers etc, maybe considering a backpack or one of those 'messenger bags' that you can wear across your body would work for you. While on vacation, we often carry a backpack with everything in it and just take turns carrying it. That way we can add to our bag when we pick things up along the way, whether they are sea shells or whatever.

Bottom line, we make sure our money or wallets are not easily available to someone who may feel the need to try and scam us with pickpocketing or the bump-and-distract-while-the-other-person-robs-you-blind-scheme!

o

I go to places not quite as safe as a cruise. Our guide advises us how to carry our money and passports. In one city they told the women not to carry purses so I carried one of the nylon pockets around my neck and slipped it inside my blouse. I carry my passport and my extra cash in a money belt around my waist next to my skin. You can't even trust the hotel safes in some of the places I go. I con't call them vacations, I call them adventures...wonderful adventures.

o

My DH has traveled all over the world and ALWAYS to this day carries his wallet in his front pocket. Talk to the tour guide aboard ship and see what they recommend to carry off ship, etc. Leave as many credit cards, home as you can, as other cards--food discount card etc. He carries only one or two credit cards and NO debit cards. He also carries traveler checks;

o

I've used the nylon pouches for 30 years and never got ripped off. My wife uses the one around her neck that slips inside her blouse. I use one that goes inside your pants and has loops that your belt threads through. Put your credit card, your passport and any large bills inside the pouch, and keep "walking-around" money in your pocket. Leave everything else home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here