SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tosh_gw

San Antonio, Texas

oldschool
21 years ago

Looking for ideas for safe, clean not too expensive places to stay and site seeing info. We plan on doing the river walk and would like to stay close by. We are flying into the airport and getting a rental car. Would like to see the surrounding areas as well.

Comments (17)

• johndeere
    21 years ago

I went last summer motels are not to bad in price where we stayed near Lackland AirForce Base.As for the river walk not sure why you would want to stay near that filthy concrete stream but thats just me.Took me the time it takes to walk it to get my fill of that.I will never go back. only reason we went was for are sons AirForce Graduation from Basic training.Sea World was nice but priced way to high.The Alamo well took me 5 minutes to see that and would have been less but there was a line to get in I went in and thought you have got to be kidding me looked around and went out the door.

• oldschool
    Original Author
    21 years ago

johndeere,

Thanks for being honest about your experiences!:)Only going on what our travel agent, friends and family told us to do and see. Brochures make everything look nice..LOL. Did you travel outside of San Antonio? How was the traffic there?

Thanks, Tosh

• Related Discussions

San Antonio, Texas

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Rusty, I'm one of the regulars at the San Antonio swap. Have also been attending the Central Texas swap for over 10 years. It's now held in Buda twice a year if you'd also like to attend that one. Please email directly about anything you might like to discuss. Would love to talk a trade with you, since we have a mutual affection for some of the same plant families. I'm sure it's tough here compared to England, but welcome to Texas. It'll get better. (We hope.) Would enjoy hearing from you. Please see "My Page" and send an email. I don't know if I'll find this again. :-) patty
    ...See More

In need of 20 anything or something to give as a gift

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm wendy Launius it's so nice to meet you. I am aneursym survivor and we have a survivor group awareness mission retreat September 8-10 in San Antonio, Texas. We would like to have a gift put together for our president of the group and the businesses that are providing us a free tour.Also anyone to put in goodie bags for survivors... terr are 20. Anyone willing to help in supplying something we could give as a thank you to them. We live off our disability checks that we receive once a month and this trip is all being provided by different sponsors around San Antonio,Texas. We can't buy or put a gift together ourselves do to funds. We are extremely grateful for your generosity. Just message me and I'll be honored to give my address.
    ...See More

Hi moving to San Antonio Texas - looking for cabinet maker suggestions

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi Moving to San Antonio and looking for cabinet makers in San Antonio/Austin area. I love my current kitchen in PA made by Master Design - moving to condo that is more contemporary. Would love to see photos and get recommendations
    ...See More

SAN ANTONIO TEXAS PLANTSWAP

Q

Comments (0)
    I WANT TO FIND OUT ABOUT SAN ANTONIO TEXAS UPCOMING PLANT SWAPi
    ...See More
  • connie_tx
    21 years ago

Tosh,

I do not live in San Antonio but don't live very far from there and am there often. The water is not always dirty. It is very quaint feeling its down below the city streets and beautiful during the holiday season with all the christmas lights. The Alamo is not really worth wasting your time on unless you like to read and there is a big Mall on the one end of the canals where you can take the boat to it. The Zoo is great there and they also have Sea World, and Six Flags Fiesta Not sure of their winter hours. The traffic is always heavy there and they have some repair going on there like all big citys. Fredericksburg is only abouot 70 miles from there and is the cutest little German town, very old and the main street is filled with little shops . Lots of good food there and you would love the atmosphere. When are you going and for how long?? Oh the mexican food on the River walk is very bland, Not so pricey just not good. But if you go there you just have to eat out on the walk at some of the restaurants that have partial outdoor seating right on the waters edge and can watch people float by on the boats which you can ride on from one end to the other and the captain will tell you about the old buildings and some of the history of San Antonio. With the many vistors they have each day there they really do a pretty good job of keeping it clean its the Tourist that destroy things. I live 150 miles from there and would be happy to help you with any questions of any town to visit if I can.

Connie

• johndeere
    21 years ago

Traffic is not to bad considering I was there during the summer flood of last year. We drove from Illinois stoped at Dallas now there is a interesting city.We liked the 6 floor museum where JFK was shot.All though the way they try to cash in on his death is a bit disrespecful.As for the river walk true may be cleaner at other times but not just the water was dirty so were the streets and most of the city amasing how some live was my thoughts.Also looked like a good place to get mugged.

• oldschool
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Connie,

Thanks for the reply! We arrive in San Antonio on April 22 and have 8 days to play...LOL. Fredericksburg sounds nice it was on my do list. Not sure about the Mall yet it is on my list as well. I just started gathering info from travel sites. Where are you located? We are not sure which direction we will take. We want to go into Mexico, maybe at Laredo or Brownsville is up in the air?

johndeere,

We went to Nogales, Mexico last April now that is dirty. It only took us an hour to check it out...LOL.

Tosh

• mskeetpod
    21 years ago

Hi Tosh,
    If you come to san Antonio you need to visit New Braunfels. Have lunch at Krauses. Great German food.Gins on Evers Rd. has good Chinese food. Panda, on Bitters Rd. has Buffet style chinese.
    Bill Miller has great barbacue.The Riverwalk is nice. The food there is lousy.If you want Mexican food, you go to La Fogata on Vance Jackson.And of course there are a lot of small, but very good Restaurants and fast food places. And of course you have the Malls.. North Star, Windsor Park, Rolling Oaks, The Forum, just to many to mention all..
    There are lots of hotels and Motels in SA. You may want to get one on the outskirts of town. I see a few on my way home from work on McAllister Freeway and 37 south, still in the City Limit, but more in a country setting.Hope this helps.If you have any questions, feel free to email me.
    MskeetPod

• oldschool
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hi MskeetPod,

Thanks for the reply! I hope things well with you and your family.

New Braunfel is on my list :). And I added your info to my travel plans.

I clicked on (my page) next to your name but not sure if it's suppose act that way. I get the log on screen not your email? Not a problem if someone is interested in San Antonio they can get good info from the replies.

Looking for a good BBQ ribs, margarita's, your opinion on the Natural Bridge Caverns, and the Mi Tierra market place?

Thanks, Tosh

• maryanntx
    21 years ago

Tosh, you will love San Antonio!! I live nearby and have always enjoyed the Riverwalk!! I've never seen it dirty!! The River Center Mall is built over the river in downtown San Antonio. I love to browse the mall. There is an Imax theater in the Mall too. You can take a barge ride along the river and the guide tells you fun facts about the city. Also the Alamo is nearby and a must to visit if you enjoy history.
    Also the River Walk is a good night spot. There is a Howl at the Moon which is so much fun. And one of my High School friends performs at Swigs, which is a martini bar.

New Braunfels is one of my very favorite places!! I go there several times a month. Lots of antiques and German and Mexican food. Gruene is another place to visit which is actually in the New Braunfels city limits, but it's a little town all it's own. There are many antique shops and gift shops there. The river flows through and you can tube or raft on it. Several really good restaurants. The oldest dance hall in Texas is there and they have live music on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and I think on Sunday night too.

Fredricksburg is another interesting little town. More antiques and gift shops.

I have lived 50 miles from San Antonio all my life and I never get tired of going there. There is always a fiesta or some kind of party or celebration going on, and most of the people are very friendly.

I'll be glad to help you with more information. Just click on my name and e-mail me.

Oh yes, I think the Starving Artists show is in April. It is at La Villeta (sp) which is also downtown by the River Walk.

• txguy101
    21 years ago

I live in Dallas and have been to S.A. many times, always have a good time. Not sure what you mean by expensive but this time of year I would bet you could stay downtown on or near the Riverwalk for 60 -80 per night. Just a guess based on previous trips. Check one of the hotel search web sites. Hard to say what is fun to do for another person. I enjoyed seeing the Alamo. You have to have one meal down by the river, though I agree with another poster that the best value is not down there. I like the Mexican market and we usually eat at Mi Tierras, though I like it better for breakfast than for dinner. Overpriced, in my opinion.

I enjoyed the Natural Bridge Caverns. They are small enough it doesn't take forever but there are many interesting rock formations. If you have walking kids (5 and up) they will love it.

Have fun.

• oldschool
    Original Author
    21 years ago

MaryAnn, :-)

txguy101,

I think $100 is expensive for just a basic room. We have paid that for rooms in Alaska and more. We paid $100 for a basic room in Montana 8 years ago. I got rates off the web sites for the river walk $200 and more a night for the month of April. Could you recommend a place to stay on the river walk?

We are going to be "Joe tourist" and see the Alamo, the mexican market, Mi Tierras, the river walk and the caverns.

What I have read so far is Mi Tierras is expensive!

Thanks or the reply!

Tosh

• txguy101
    21 years ago

Tosh,

Looks like rates are higher than I expected. I have rented at 2 or 3 different motel type places in SA, I've never stayed on the Riverwalk proper. I've placed a link on a search I did. Looks to me like the Hampton Inn might be your best value.

Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Downtown SA Hotels

• oldschool
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks again txguy101! Off to check out the site you posted:-)

• mskeetpod
    21 years ago

Tosh, please email me...
    MskeetPod

• oldschool
    Original Author
    21 years ago

MskeetPod,

Did you get my email?

Tosh

• mitchdesj
    21 years ago

I had a few days in San Antonio 5 years ago and it was very enjoyable. The river walk area is pleasant. I remember visiting a few historical churches and also a flour mill that was owned by german family and now is open as a restaurant, beautiful grounds.
    The mexican market was not my favorite, a bit sad looking.

• tahlequahgardens
    21 years ago

I loved San Antonio. Every time I have been there. Love the river walk, the whole atmosphere. Mexico, well, I went near Brownsville, dirty, my daughter said it was nicer/better near Laredo! Didn't get to much enjoyment out of that. We stayed on base, as my husband is retired military. Got good prices that way.

Have fun! Check out the river walk after dark. Mall, well, been to a mall, you seen all. (Don't like malls).

Enjoy your stay.

Moni

• tomato_girl
    21 years ago

Hi Tosh, I lived in Corpus Christi for 20 years and went to SA (SAN ANTONIO) lots. It is terrific and DON'T waste you time at malls. They all have the same dumb chain stores. The best in SA is the Mexican food and Mexican cultural stuff. The Riverwalk is great for strolling and looking, but you are better off just having an ice cream or a margarita at a cafe along the river - the dinners are definitely overpriced. The Riverwalk is the BEST for strolling on a nice day or evening. MY TIERRA is a wonderful spot for lunch. I think they have mariaches around there. I love mariache music, and if you want to spend about $20/person for the best brunch ever (with mariache music too) go to the Mansion restaurant for Sunday brunch. You must have a reservation. I call ahead even before you get down there. It is just beautiful. Mansion has two locations and I liked the one out by the airport better than the one at the Riverwalk for atmosphere, but both are lovely.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio