Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going to New Orleans an the gulf shores in April

Posted by backyardbill (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 03 at 19:45

We are going to New Orleans an the surrounding area in April. We will probably stay in Baton Rouge because we have found all the hotels are already booked full in New Orleans metro area. I would like to go on a charter fishing trip in the Gulf while in the area. Does anyone know of some good charter companies? I would also consider going on a bass charter too. Our plans are to soak up some sun for several days an then move on to Mobile to see the Battleship and the gardens in that area prior to heading back north to wait for our spring to come. Are there any "don't miss" things to do while in on the gulf shores?
Thanks Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going to New Orleans an the gulf shores in April

Bill:
You got to be kidding about the solid bookings!!
There is almost always space in one of the big hotels at almost any time (with a few exceptions like Madri Gras).

You better do some more homework first then have FUN!

o

Bill, a friend from the Cooking forum (woodie) alerted me to your post here. I'm guessing you're trying to book New Orleans during JazzFest which would explain the lack of rooms. We live in BR. Dh works offshore (on oil rigs) and fishes the marshes during his free time. Let me talk to him and get back with you.

o

Thanks Cindy. We have found plenty of rooms available in the surounding area, an will probably book the rooms as soon as we see what happens to the price of gas if and when we go after Saddam. I don't want to book the rooms and then the price of gas go to $3 or $4 a gallon. I might still go if the price of gas doubled, but if it were to go much higher than that I would have to think about spending the extra money.
Bill

o

You're two different Bills, right?

Backyard Bill,
Staying in Baton Rouge might be a better idea anyway. It'll be cheaper than New Orleans, and definitely less of a hassle. Plus you'd be centrally located if you're interested in visiting Acadiana, which is the Lafayette area 50 miles west of BR. Im sure youve done a lot of research, but just in case you havent found this site, I think youll find it extremely helpful. Click on the different regions of the state map (in the upper right hand corner) to get extensive info on New Orleans, as well as Plantation Country (Baton Rouge), or Cajun Country (the Lafayette area). Louisiana Travel

I talked to dh and he couldn't give me any info on charters. He and a friend co-own a small boat and fish in the marshes. Dh occasionally fishes for tuna when he's on the rig, but has never been on a chartered trip. These are two of his bookmarked sites.
Louisiana Sportsman
Rod and Reel

o

Thanks again Cindy. No there is just one backyardbill, but this forum just went over to the paying member thing an I am now using my wifes sign on as she pays to use some of the other forums. Don't tell the forum owner! I am doing my research and I will have a good look at the sites that you sent along. Thanks again.
Bill

o

Bill, I never heard of Woodland Plantation until today when I was reading the current issue of Southern Living. It's the only plantation south of New Orleans that's open to the public. It sounds like an interesting place. The article also included info on fishing guides in the area, but unfortunately it's not available online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodland Plantation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here