Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please-??s S. FL Gulf beaches - thanks

Posted by gma_j (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 11, 05 at 14:12

Hello - I am the grandma elected to do quick research. Being from snowy N. Idaho, our family of 12, (us grandparents, the kids and grandkids) would like to find some sun the middle of April. We are thinking that the southern Florida gulf beaches might be warm enough as what everyone wants is warmth and a swimming beach that is safe for our little ones, ages 6-9. We are getting a late start in planning this so if anyone has suggestions as to beaches, etc. I would really, really appreciate it. Also, our first choice would be to rent a house so we could all be together. We had also wondered about the Keys? Thank you so much for anything you could help me with. Jeanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please-??s S. FL Gulf beaches - thanks

I'm from the Sarasota Venice area and you will love Siesta beach, a long shallow beautiful sand beach. There's lots to do with the kids in the Sarasota area - Jungle Gardens, water parks, Busch Gardens, etc. The weather will be quite warm in April and the Keys, while expensive, will be even hotter. You will love SW Florida.

o

Jeanie,

I've stayed at Old Saltworks Cabins on Cape San Blas several times and loved it. The Panhandle may be further north than you want, although I've found it pretty warm in mid April.

Nedra W

o

On the panhandle check out Seagrove Beach. Along the west coast of florida Sanibel was always wonderful but I dont know what state it will be in after the hurricane this fall.

o

Careful! I'm from So. California and went to Tampa last year. I thought I'd have a wonderful beach vacation with kids, warm gulf water. How disappointing to find that the Tampa (not far north from Sarasota and Sanibel) sand and surf was full of broken shells. Not fun to walk on, play in the surf, and bodyboarding is out of the question.

o

Try Anna Maria Island.
That's where I live. :)

o

Thanks to all so far - I really, really appreciate the help from each of you. Anyone else's thoughts would also be very much appreciated. Jeanie

o

Hi! We love the Ft Myers Beach area. Years ago we rented a condo on the beach, it was a 2 br, with a hideaway couch and it also had roll away beds, plus everything needed to cook with and all the linens, all you needed were groceries, if you wanted to! It's close to Sanibel and Captiva Islands. Great shelling and Ding Darling Nature or Wildlife Preserve~ Have a great time whatever you decide! Can't wait to go back!

o

Another thing to think about is local "attractions".

On the gulf coast you can stay at the beaches in Clearwater, St. Petersburg and then head inland an hour to Busch Gardens, 2 hours (+/-) to Orlando which has Disney, Sea World Etc.

Oh, and I LOVE looking for sharks teeth in Venice, I could do it all week!

jerri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here