Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A 'trashy/treasure' Christmas

Posted by Des_Arc_Ya_Ya (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 9, 04 at 21:47

How much of your Christmas decorating involves things that you've "created" from other stuff?

I have two rusted metal store rack/fixtures that will soon go up on the mantel. I put tiny strings of white lights on them last year and loved them!

How about you? Got stories/ideas to share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A 'trashy/treasure' Christmas

I have an idea which I'm going to implement (and take pics of) in the next few days...
I'm going to take some vintage ornaments, place them inside a glass cloche, and display them on a cakestand. The ornaments, cloche, and cakestand are all thrift-shop finds.
I'm also going to display some ornaments on candlesticks. Pics to come later.
Would love to see pics of those metal fixtures w/lights, Des Arc Ya Ya !

o

I trash picked a wooden high chair that lost its tray. I painted it white and distressed it. An old Christmas bear sits in it. He is holding yard sale Christmas picks, berries, bells and beads. He is wearing a stocking cap my daughter made out of felt at school. Very cute.
barbara52: I have done the vintage ornaments in the same manner in the past and it is a very chic look. This year, I put them in a tall wide glass vase with pearls intertwined. Looks very cool. I am thinking of putting some vintage ornaments in a yard sale bird cage I have and putting a wide ribbon with a bow tied around the base. Someone gave me the idea at another forum

o

I had a "chance" at two wooden chairs this morning....DH said where are you going to put them???? LOL We had to move into a smaller place, darn, I want those chairs!!!!

o

made a lap rug. out of scraps and remnants I collected from my weekend job.

made two scarfs out of the polar fleece left over from the backing.

made another lap rug.

used a thrift-shop flannel sheet as the backing

took all the pink and gold scraps I had left, and sewed them all together- and got a THIRD lap rug out of them.

going to back it with upholstery velvet I bought for a buck at a yard sale this summer just because it was SUCH a deal (never thought I'd have a use for pink velvet)

going home tonight, and try out the 'rag quilt' technique to see if I can make some coasters- I think toile coasters would be fun :)

o

When my kids were little I was looking for a project to keep them busy while I decorated the tree and yet let them be apart of it all. What I came up with was using packing peanuts...the ones with the holes in them..strung together on dark green yarn with plastic sewing needles.
The kids had a blast stringing the peanuts and when we were done we put them on the tree....it looked like snow had fallen on the tree.
This was 20 some years ago....what I thought was going to be a one time decoration has turned into a must have on the tree.

o

I have an old rack that held bags of chips, that I got from Sherree, holding Christmas cards and the 2004 dose of family pictures!!! I changed her pretty peach colored ribbon to one that is red plaid!!! Looks pretty cute on my wall!

o

Merry Christmas to All. Here are my decorations made with "trash" -- vintage ornaments and bottle-brush trees, fake snow, cake stands, and garden cloches. Everything except the snow is from the TS or flea market.

Barbara

o

I picked up a wooden highchair (no tray)and had a guy glue the spindles and restain it(cost $5.00). I put a Teddy Bear in it. I also have a chips rack..never thought to use it for cards.

Jay Bird ...what are cloches?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here