Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bed to bench

Posted by sandyhills1 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 30, 04 at 18:59

Saw this on DIY today and was impressed.Showed a neat bench made from a double bed headboard and endboard.The headboard was the back,the endboard,cut in half was the sides and armrest.The sitting area was built as a simple box with the headboard and endboard attached.It was a wooden bed.Put a foam covered matt to sit on and put it in the house or covered porch.Rain would ruin it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bed to bench

Hello, I wondered over from lawn mowers, I hope you don't mind.
I have made couple of benches similar to these. I had a bunk bed set, the "tootsie roll" post style and made two benches out of them. I used the headboard as the back and the footboard as the front. I made a simple box from 2x4's and topped it off with old redwood fence planks for the seat and covered it with an outdoor lounge chair cushion. I topped the headboard off with mock birdhouses, one on both corner posts. I did have to cut the legs of the footboard down a bit but they came out nice. We keep one on our back deck 24/7 and the other I gave to my mother-in-law. They look real good weathered. I have two metal headboards I picked up from a garage sale I'm getting ready to work on, Im just not sure what or how.

o

Here's mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: bench photo

o

Nice t-support8 it gives me an idea for my metal one. If, that is, you don't mind me copying your post?

Chaz

o

just finished this as a x-mas gift
Just wanted to share
Cheri

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's my bench

o

Copy away Chazwnosloc! Glad I could help!

o

Both totally different and both look great.

o

Can I share mine? It's different, too.

Also note the shelf DH made me, using old sewing machine legs.

o

Here's a pic of mine made from the bottom bunk of a bunk bed.

o

Daisy-Is your bench welded together or put together with bolts? I have an iron bed that I want to do just that with.It is the square tubing.I wasn't sure if it should be welded or just bolted together.I love yours and love the table..........Lillie

o

Daisy! I have the same headboard as you, but no footboard. Now what do I do??? I want to make a bench so bad!!!! All these here are sooooo awesome and beautiful! I am green.

o

Lillie, it's welded because DH can do such things. No reason it couldn't be bolted, tho.

Lindy, keep your eye out for a metal piece, the kind the arms are made from. We had to cut the center decoration out of the footboard anyway.

Thanks for the nice words.

o

I have 2 benches also. Need to get pics on site, I just bought a digital camera. I also found old door with 3 panels all etched with white flowers on glass panels.. I think it is a old panty door. Found it behine the big W - store parking lot. Any ideas? Thanks Craftylady-Ma.

o

Crafty Lady..... I am willing to bet that door is valuable!!!! zzzzOmg...I am having heart palpitations!!! I can't wait to see a pic and I know already I am green with envy.......oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

o

Wonderful!!!! I saw it on DIY and wanted to try it.So happy to see all the great ideas.Hubby needs a bench in the mud room and I want a bench for the front porch.So far I already have a Queen sized metal bed,was going to sell it.Hope I can turn out something with it.Will now be looking for a wood bed for the bench.Thanks again Joy-Sandyhills1

o

Here is a pic of my metal one that DH and I made last year.
He did expert welding after I did the cutting with the reciprocating saw.

Same one diff. angle and place. It has been all over the yard and garden. I can't wait to get more benches built.

I've got 1 more metal and 2 wood sets to work on when we get the current projects done.

o

Wonderful! I have the same bed.After all the great posts on here I was trying to figure out how to do the arms-where to cut them,etc.Thanks again.

o

A guy in one of the antique group shops that I'm in has been making & selling wooden benches made from old beds for years. he does very well selling them. I got an old bed this week & I want to make one for myself. It would be neat in my little shed.

o

These are just too cute!
I came to this site today for the first time looking for ideas and I am just bubbling over with them thanks to all of you!

o

Welcome NanaTink. Trash to treasure is a wonderful place and there is Garden Junk at Garden Web that is another favorite place for ideas in turning out fabulous things from castoffs. Warning: These sites are addictive!!!LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk Site

o

Thanks for the warm welcome coloredthumb!
I've worked online at a parenting site for 6 yrs, so I do understand how addictive it can be! While I love the site I work at, (Coordinator/moderator) at 50 yrs old I've grown weary of discussing only pregnancy, newborns, etc. So I might well become a regualar here real quick since I see already there are a lot more "middle agers" like myself here who seem to be quite like-minded in their hobbies.

SO far I really do like what I see here!

o

Here's mine, made from a footboard - the headboard is being used in my guest bedroom. (Sorry for the extra pictures, but this is one jpg.)

o

Hi there! I'm brand new to posting but I've been following what is going on in Trash to Treasure for a few years now. Bed to bench is the greatest idea ever and is a project I have considered myself. I have a great thrift store that gets headboards all the time for good and cheap prices so now that you guys have given me inspiration again I will keep my eyes pealed for a really great one complete with a footboard and might have a few questions. Happy to join you guys and your super ideas!

o

sorry to change the post...i love the post, but i have a question about lydia's post (i just said post a lot of times). with the bench picture, and the other pics that are attached to it, i noticed the plant stant that looks like a coat tree. i was wondering if u made it yourself and if you did how you attached the pots to the stand?

o

beckerster - Yes, we made that out of an old post. Cut wood pieces for the bottom so that it would stand and used 2 of the wooden deck pot hangers to hold the pots. Very easy project!

The pot hangers we used were wooden, but the ones in the link below would work also if you couldn't find the wood ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pot hangers

o

My aunt's husband took my daddy iron bed (he was born in it and had already as an adult cut out the vertical bars so he could hang his feet off the bottom) after my dad died and made a welded bed using wood for the seat. My aunt made a cushion for top and bottom and they gave it to mother. (did not hurt my feelings but did a sister who thought it was a heritage piece and should not be changed). It is beautiful.

I have seen them made where the foot board is the front of the bench and not the side. They used a rectangle piece in the middle of the two for the seat (having cut down the foot board)

I have seen them where the footboard is cut in two and put at tne sides or the front of the headboard. I have seen them use angle brackets to put together. I have seen them use toy boxes and attach them for outside storage.

I even saw where they took a king headboard and put at back of the bedframe. And they cut the footboard and put on ends. Made a bed with it....a day bed.

These on this paqe are beautiful.

o

I need a pattern ir u=instructions to make a bench out of a iron bed headboard.

Thanks
Belpregranny

o

belpregranny
It is easy to make a bench from an iron or metal bedstead. Just keep the headboard intact, cut the footboard to approximatly 18" from the outer edge towar the center. With double beds and wider you'll need to discard some of the middle of the footboard. Weld the cut ends to the ends of the headboard and build a seat of either of 2x4s and plywood or 2x6s.

tools and stuff needed
MEASURING TAPE measure twice (or more) cut once
reciprocating saw for cutting the metal
welder for the attatching of arms to back
2x4 or 2x6 boards and 1/2 inch plywood long as the width of the bench to make a seat (a seat is good for most at approximately 18" deep and 18" high)
drill
metal and wood bits
screws to hold the wood to the metal.
In garden junk there are better instructions somewhere I posted long ago. Here is a link to another bed bench post and two types of metal frame.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden junk iron bed benches

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here