Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mattress Spring Project

Posted by angel3090 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 18:23

Hopefully this trash can be a treasure with this boards creative help!

A friend of mine has been holding on to a twin size mattress spring. It is only the metal spring and has been outside and gotten a little rusty. The other day I asked her when she was planning on tossing it. She replied that she does not plan on tossing it because she wants to create something crafty with it, but has no idea what to do with it.

Please help me get some ideas for her. It looks really trashy lying beside her house waiting to find a purpose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mattress Spring Project

My first thought is to make it the top of a little pergola in a secret garden. I've seen them used as a trellis for climbing plants - Clematis, Roses, Morning Glories etc. Wish I had one.

o

1 - Some folks attach them to the side of their shed and use them as trellis' for climbing vines.

2 - The following pics were taken from the "Crafts and Decorations" forum and other sites - I do not take credit for these. The ones with the lace background were made by "Oddie" on that forum, and a couple made by "NonaCook" the ones with the trees on top of the heads - aren't they just stunning!! Oddie did post a msg in that forum on how she made hers.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Thank you crafty lady for finding these ideas. I too have a bunch of old springs that I was wondering what to do with. I have put little candles in them and hung them up and put beads on them, but this idea is just wonderful.

Shortcut.

o

Other ideas is to put a fabric stuffed star on the top of the spring. I have some of those hanging around my home for decoration. My homemade star is about 7 inches in width for the star points and I have a scrap of long homespun material tied around the star with some pip berries attached to the material. Jack-o-lantern head decorations, etc. The possibilities are endless, just have to use your imagination.

Sal

o

Wow! Those snowmen are adorable. I can't wait to show them to my friend. Thank you everyone for your ideas.

o

My post disappeared....This is what I said--

Thanks for adding my name to this post, but none of these are mine. I do have some on my website if you would like to look. LOL I had not seen the ones with the trees before....

Http://members.cox.net/nonacook

o

I apologize Nonacook, I really did think they were yours on your website. Now I can't remember where I saw those with the trees in the head but again I will say, credit is due to whomever made them and they are beautiful.

Sal

o

I saw someone over at Garden Junk attach a whole set of bed springs to the top of a pergola and light them with tiny white lights . . . . .or was it over someone's bed?

I can't remember, but you get the picture.

o

Probably not what you had in mind, but I recently saw one of my friends neighbors hitch up an entire set of mattress springs to the back of his lawn tractor and use it to dredge and spread fresh gravel over his driveway. I thought it was hysterical to watch but very clever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here