Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recycled Vintage Maps-Hat Boxes

Posted by kudzukween (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 6, 08 at 17:57

My youngest sister buys me lots of cool stuff at yard sales. The last time she was here, she gave me 2 of these papier mache hat boxes because she thought I could think of something to make from them. The other day I decided to decoupage some of our father's old maps from his huge National Geographic Atlas. The map on one box says 1939. Don't feel bad I cut them up, the silverfish and mice all got to them first, and a lot were already well-studied and tattered :D
So here are the two hat boxes on my blog, before and after photos. Check out what else I made from old maps.
Cherry/Kudzu

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recycled Vintage Maps-Hat Boxes

Very cool Cherry!
My dad saved all those maps too. Not sure where they are. I think my mom still has them, I'll have to check.
kathy

o

Thanks Kathy! There's all kinds of things to make from those colorful maps :D I want to try a wreath in the next few days,too!
I finished the roses for the top of the hat boxes,too, I'm thinking of tea-staining some paper doilies for them...I need to finish them somehow :D

o

Love the hatboxes & the roses are so beautiful, could you make leaves with the coffee filters, I'm going to have to check MS out on that as they are lovely, great gift for taking to person in nursing home as it will last & last! I would make them long stemed for that & was thinking if you can make leaves it would be perfect. I think the doilies would work! Jan

o

Thanks Ya'll!
The templates are on Martha Stewart's site and include the leaf templates,too :D Where the video is, close the video and you'll see the templates and directions. Have fun! I found some silk leaves I was saving, and they went great with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here