Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ice box--suggestions for a new use?

Posted by rrah (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 5, 06 at 16:03

My parents have a very old icebox--dated 1907--the kind that people used with blocks of ice. It stands about 3.5 feet high and is about 2.5 wide by about 3 ft. long. On one side is the door where food was stored. It still has 3 metal wire shelves on that side. The other side has 2 doors--one is larger. That was the side for ice, and I assume a bucket of some sort for catching water as it melted. It's been in the basement for sometime, and they are ready to get rid of it. Any suggestions for a modern day use? I would love to bring it home, but can't think of how I might creatively use it. I thought I might store my printer in it, but the doors aren't wide enough. I would love to hear your ideas! (FYI--my home really isn't really a trash to treasure kind of place, but I could probably make it work in the family TV room or my study.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ice box--suggestions for a new use?

I actually use mine for storing all our liquor and supplies. We entertain alot. We made solid shelves for the interior that are adjustable. Mine is a little bigger than the one you describe and only has 2 doors.

o

We had one of those when I was a teenager. I well remember the day we got a gas Servel fridge. I asked my mother "do we have to put ice in it to help it make ice?" I've seen these refinished and waxed and they're beautiful on their own - just as a beautiful piece of furniture. I think they are made mostly of oak. That's a great idea to make a liquor cabinet from it. You could use it for any kind of storage or leave it open to house collectable art pieces, quilts maybe and hang a decorative cloth or quilt on the doors, something fabulous on top. That's how I'd use it - a display cabinet. You lucky lady to have one. They're disappearing.

o

Ohhhhhh my, you are sooooo lucky to still have the ice box. I agree that it would make a lovely display cabinet for collectables or what have you. Open the doors and tuck in some Christmas greenery with ole' time decorations and Santas and Snowmen, I bet that would look just gorgeous. Are you able to post a pic of it? May I ask, how do you decorate, modern, country? In the family room you could use it for newspapers or magazine storage. The same in your study. If you truly are going to get rid of it, may I suggest you check on eBay or antique sites for a price you could sell it for. If not there, take a pic of it with your digital camera and bring the camera to an antiques store in town to show them the pic and ask if they can give you an idea for a price. Then put an ad in the local paper. Is there a "historical society" in your town, or a group of folks who love this sort of thing. That is truly an antique and I bet you could get a pretty decent price for it. There is an "Antiques" forum on this, the Garden Web forums. Post a pic in that forum and ask if anyone might know anything about it.

Sal

o

I saw one on a decorating show a while back! it was used to
display things, It was painted a wild color and the doors were kept open............A liquor cabinet would be ideal!!!
what a great piece! you are so lucky! Keep it!!!
If you don't decide to keep it.......it's worth a a bunch.
Check with antique dealers in your area. I know here, you could make quite a bit.

Haziemoon

o

Just yesterday on decorating cents (hgtv) they redid a formal living room by using things the homeowner already had. She had an old icebox and they used it for a coffee table, layed it on its back so the door was facing up. They suggested to use it for storage, even tho the room was formal (it even had a new modern keyboard in it) the "new" coffee table looked awesome.

o

It sounds lovely. Could you use it for multimedia storage? CDs or DVDs?

o

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
We refinished it and painted the inside. It's become our liquor cabinet and conversation piece. I wouldn't trade it for a "real liquor" bar for any amount of money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here