Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recycled Vintage Maps-Wreath

Posted by kudzukween (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 19, 08 at 13:39

I saw a wreath like this on Margo's site (Robolady) and when I pulled these maps out, I knew it would be perfect, since I couldn't find a hymnal! I cut out a circle of cardboard using a dessert plate and a bowl for a pattern, and I cut out the center, then taped it back up. I started off with a bottle of glue, but had to switch to a glue gun, because I needed it to dry fast. I twisted some wire and hot glued it on the back for a hanger. I didn't measure anything, I just sort of-kind of made squares in 2 sizes, and rolled them like you'd roll parchment for cake frosting. Even HossFly said he liked the look of this.

Photo and link to Margo on my blog!
Kudzu

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recycled Vintage Maps-Wreath

I love the wreath. You are so creative. An I read the story about your sick Grandbaby. It made me cry. My twins used to get very ill every year at Holiday time and I remember how stressing it can be. I hope he feels better soon and I hope noone else catches it before next week. Happy Holidays:)

o

The wreath looks so nice! Those maps are sure coming in handy & such nice colors!! I should check at library, I have a few old maps that are big, about 20in. by 30 in. of foreign countries that I had students in, they were only from 1970's tho. They fold up to about book size so might not work so well. Wow!! YOur grandson really got sick quick. Good thing he got to ER as those ear infections can be nasty but don't usually have vomiting at same time, sounds like he had 2 bugs at same time. My niece got sick really fast & ended up in ER & they had everybody coming to try & figure out what was going on. High fever, red face, fussy, about 4 yrs old. They just couldn't figure it out & finally she got rash & they said measles & some said no, chicken pox, well she had both & it was miserable 2 weeks for her mom, she spent night in hospital too as she was dehydrated so they can get 2 things at once. Hope the 1st round of antibodics takes care of it but sometimes they need more these days as bugs are getting used to antibodics. Prayers for speedy recovery for him!! Jan

o

Love the wreath. Sorry about everyone's sick babies! Hope they all recover quickly.
kathy

o

Kudzu, I love your map wreath. Could you please post the approximate sizes of the cardboard circles you started with, also the size you cut the squares for the 'cones'?
Thanks!
Rusty

o

Thanks Rusty!
I'm just guessing...but the cardboard circle was probably a 2" wide circle, the circle about 8" across. I used a dessert plate for the outside circle, and a bowl for the inner circle. I cut through to the center to cut out the center circle of cardboard, then taped it back together, and hot glued a wire hanger there. The maps I folded in half and cut 2 strips,which made 4 strips. They were about 6" to 8" wide and about 2 feet long. Then I cut them into about 6"x4" rectangles, and some about 5"x3" rectangles, and rolled them into cones.

o

Thanks for answering so quickly, Kudzu. It will probably be after the holidays before I get to try anything new. I have an old atlas that I am thinking of using for this. Love the way the colors look in your wreath. Never did find a picture of Robolady's music wreath, but I imagine the music would look neat, too. I've enjoyed reading (and listening to the music on) your blog, too.
Hm-m--mm-mm-mm. Now where is all that old sheet music I have. . . . .
Rusty

o

Therustyone: here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: hymnal wreath

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here