Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas

Posted by junkyardgirl (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 07 at 22:13

I have an old two drawer file cabinet that is dented and has some rust on the top. Other than that, it's in great shape. I want to do something really cute with it. Does anyone have pictures of one they've redone?

On this one, the top would have to be covered to conceal the dents.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas

Check out Robolady's wesite, (sorry I don't have it, but you can do a search), but she has the coolest stuff on her website.

o

Covering the top wouldn't be too hard, just depends on the style you are looking for. You could do a mosaic on the top (you'd just need to put a leveler on first to even out the dents), or you could upholster the top (cut a thin piece of board to fit, cover with batting & fabric and either glue or screw it in from the inside...just depends on if it is wood or metal), you could always use putty (either wood or water putty), to level out the dents & then paint it with rustoleum paint, if you wanted a painted look. You could level it and decopage it too, just depends on what kind of "look" you are looking for!

o

find small peices of wall or floor tiles (check with home depot, home hardware etc for broken peices.) then glue and grout them down. It depends on what you are going to do with the furniture though. You can also spray paint it with the paint that looks like spackles.

o

These are all great ideas! It would be hard to choose between them, but I'll take a look after Christmas, and see which one I want to use.

I love robolady's website, btw!

o

You could also use the self-stick metal appearing tiles. There are about 3" x 3". I bought them online but I think that HD and Lowes have them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here