Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Technique to highlight carved detail?

Posted by busygirl (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 19:24

I am refinishing a gilt mirror frame to put in my bathroom. I plan to paint it a satin white and would appreciate some advice on how to add a greyish highlight on the carved detail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Technique to highlight carved detail?

Take some grey acrylic paint and dab it onto a styrofoam plate. Then dab an old rag into it. Wipe it across the carving quickly. If there's too much paint in one place use another rag to remove it.
Go lightly. It's easier to add more paint by doing it a second or even third time then it is to put too much on at once.

o

Thanks Carol! I'm really new at this and appreciate your advice.

o

Maybe I'm a purist, but I like highlights on the raised surfaces and darker shade in the recesses. I would paint it the white that you want and after it's dry and you're ready for the second shade, I would mix a little glaze in with the paint and work it into the cracks and crevices. Then wipe it off right away and voila! you will have the highlights the way they should be...in my humble opinion. :o)

o

I'll do a tester both ways to see what works best with the piece. Right now I'm having trouble covering up the gold. Spray primer didn't do it so now I'm going to try a good Ben Moore primer with a foam roller.

o

It could get a very nice shabby chic look if some of the gold is allowed to come through. If it were me, I'd paint the darker color, working into the grooves, then the light color on top, wipe it while it's still wet to show the darker color, then when it's completely dry, use sand paper to expose the gold again. Just a thought...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here