Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Book Purse?

Posted by SunnyFL (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 04 at 12:38

Hi Everyone,
DH and I have lots of books we really don't want to discard.
I have heard of Purses made from books. They are lined with fabric with either handles or clasps. The ones that seem really popular are crafted from Readers Digest Condensed books. Some are really cute, and just hoping someone here has either made them or can help with a tutorial??

Thanks bunches,
Mary Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Book Purse?

Mary Ann-I did a Google search and found this site.No instructions for the purses but a good picture that might help you get started.I have never heard of these before,but they are really cute.
God bless..........Lillie

Here is a link that might be useful: Book Purses

o

I saw someone on HGTV (Carol Duvall's show maybe?) making these - you might do a search on the HGTV site for instructions...

Karen

o

WOW, aren't those great! I sure hope to find instructions..soon! Someone on HGTV crafts board said the latest Leisure Arts, Trash to treasure had instructions..So I will check here @ Books a Million and Barnes and Noble.

Lillie just love the link you sent :-)
Karen I'll go now and check out Carol's shows.

Thanks ever so much!
Mary Ann

o

There was a designer - Italian I think - who created purses to look like a magazine rolled up. He used Fashion magazines if I remember correctly. The idea was to deter or trick pick pockets/thieves. Very collectable - they sometimes show up on eBay.
Geo

o

This site has a lot of threads about these purses. Just put the words book purse in the search box. I'm sure you'll find what you need there.

Good luck! When you're finished share a pic & any hints/tips if you can, please!

HTH!

~Sady

Here is a link that might be useful: Book Purses

o

Oh my, That site will keep me busy for hours! Talk about Trash to Treasure..those folks make it all..don't they??

Thanks so much :-)
Mary Ann

o

I found these instruction's I hope they help!!
Cheri

Here is a link that might be useful: book purse instructions

o

Cheri,
Thanks a Zillion!
I appreciate your thoughtfulness :-)

Mary Ann

o

Your welcome
I think I'm gonna give it a try too
Let me know how your's turn out.
Cheri

o

I just made two today, and started 2 more. What fun this is... The only problem I had was finding the right color of material to go with the cover of the books! Ha.... One was limegreen and white readers digest...I found 2 cloth napkins that had a limegreen and navy stripe around the edges so I used this for the green book. I used old macramae brass rings, the 3 inch ones , for the handles. The other one has deep country red and taupe material, checked and complementary floral for the sides and inside. It was fun. I used a glue gun as my sewing machine is not working.

o

got my book's today and picked up some fabric not quite sure what to use for handle's couldn't find any purse handle's so will figure it out when I get that far. I have a feeling this is going to become an addiction :-)
wish me luck
Cheri

o

Here is one of my book purses. This was fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: bookpurse

o
RE: book purse pic

I did one and lost it!!! hope this shows up.

o

interior lining

o

Help, I love your book purses, but I have tried the links and they don't work. I would love to know how to make them. Could someone please share the instructions?
Thanks, Cheri

o

OOOOOOh why can't I see..............

o

here is a link for instructions. Hope this works

Here is a link that might be useful: instructions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here