Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scratched etched door repair-HELP

Posted by ldylvsroses (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 30, 06 at 0:42

We are remodeling my kitchen and the frosted glass door arrived a while ago. It looked fine when I check but now that it's finally time to hang it I noticed a scratch in the frosted part of the glass that is right at eye level.(directly under this is an etching of wheat sprigs)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I was wondering if there is a way to repair it so I don't see it evey time I look at the door

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scratched etched door repair-HELP

At Michael's craft store, or Joann's, you will find in the decorative paints - a "frosted glass" paint. It's probably $1.99 for a 2 oz bottle. Try using it on a glass jar first so you know what it will look like. I'd use a Q-tip to dab it on there. I'm assuming the scratch is a long thin line and maybe using a flat ended toothpick would be better to use to dab the paint on the scratch.

Another thing I've seen in a TV commercial is this glass repair liquid - they were rubbing the Q-tip back and forth over a scratched pair of eye glasses - the scratches disappeared. I'm sorry but I don't remember the name of the product. Check at Walmart, Target in the eye glass repair section - of if they have an eye center, check in there. Otherwise you might find it a name brand pharmacy store like Walgreen's or CVS.

You can also just type "frosted glass repair" in your web browser line above and see what kind of web sites you get.

Hope you are able to repair the scratch. Can I ask, why can't you just return the door where you got it and ask that it be replaced?

Sal

o

Sal thanks for the advice. The door arrived a while ago(I checked it and it looked fine ) but we are now finally ready to install it and I noticed a scratch in the etched glass right about eye level. This is going to drive me crazy every time I look at the door.It is not a deep scratch all the way thru the etching.I know they sell etching creams in craft stores but I never did it b4 and am worried I'll make the situation worse.trying it out on a jar is excellent advice-TY
Here's a picture of the damaged area Unfortunatly once the door leaves the store there is a sticker on the box that says it is nonreturnable

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

MaryEllen

o

What a bummer - don't you hate when that happens. I can see where it is going to bug you until it gets fixed. Try scratching the jar with a nail or something and see how the frosted glass paint does at fixes it.

Sal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here