Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me make this prettier

Posted by luvstocraft (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 07 at 21:00

Hi all, I'm hoping for some suggestions on what this needs to make it really cute.

I found this plant stand at TS several months back, and it's been sitting in the shed. I decided to use cups/saucers on it and put candles in them. Was able to get three matching cups/saucers at TS, then just coordinated the fourth one as best I could. I want to use it in my dining room.

So do I need a vine or rose garland wrapped around it? Lace on the shelves? Paint it? What do you suggest? I love country/victorian/romantic things. Luvs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me make this prettier

Heya, Luvs! I'd suggest painting it in a color that coordinates with the rest of the room. I think the dark wood along with the shape has more of a 70s feel and because it's so much darker than the teacups, it takes away their delicacy a little. A pale vintage green or rose might do the trick. I wonder if you could also decoupage some lace doilies on the flat of the shelves that will still let the color shine through?

Funny, but this type of plant stand was used in a rather over-done fashion in an older craft book I'd found. You'll get a bit of a laugh at what they did with it-- made it into a lamp. With teacups. And lace. And dried flowers. And...

I believe it's the second picture down on the link I've got below.

SOME of the idea is good, but I think they got a little over-enthusiastic. :-) I'll love to see how you improve on this! (Because I KNOW you will, you do great work.)

--Jenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Stand Tea Cup Lamp

o

OMG! Jenn, I have that same book! Found it at the TS, and actually enjoyed looking at it! I recognized the plates, so went to check my bookshelf. Oh oh, now I'm afraid I am getting carried away here! LOL I'll have to try to tone my project down a bit and not go overboard like the lamp! LOL I do like frilly, lacy things tho, so WATCH OUT! ;o)

I think you are right about painting it--too much contrast to the cups. The wood was in such good shape that I thought I might save it, but don't really like the look of it with the cups. I have lots of doilies from DH's Grandmother, might have to try them on it. Guess I will just have to play around with it a bit and see what I can do.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Luvs

o

I think I'd paint it white. You could drill holes along the edge of the little shelves and hang crystal prisms or swagged crystal beads?

o

Luvs, there are a couple of absolutely cute projects in that book-- a child's play table, some other good things. That's why I got it at a thrift store myself!

And then I started really looking at those lamps and how you'd actually use them. :-)

Anyway, I've never seen you go TOO far on any of your projects. No worries! It is hilarious you have the book, too!

--Jenn

o

I think all it needs is a little white doily under each cup ... and to make it Exceptionally pretty ~ you should stand it in my living room ! *wink*

o

Pesonally I kinda like the retro look. I would leave the paint alone, drape a piece of lace fabric across the top shelf, let it drape across the spindle and sort of fan out a bit on the other side. The fabric will soften the look, yet leave the lines of the shelves and spindle for the background.

o

Mine is painted white and antiqued with whatevercolorstain I had in the garage. It has two cups and saucers and in the other two spots are two mini african violets. They seem to like the cups and saucers for company, because they are growing like weeds!! I think I'll snitch your idea and drop a tea light in the cups!! Thanks for helping me out!

o

Hey Jaybird, just one more thing we have in common.

I'm gonna paint mine white too, as soon as I get to Lowe's for some primer. And I like the idea of antiquing it with some stain. I'm planning to put some crocheted or lace doilies on it, and wind a rose or ivy vine around it too. Might as well do it "over the top". LOL

I can't steal your idea about the african violets, even though I think they are beautiful. I have two black thumbs when it comes to houseplants!

Would you believe I found two more pretty floral cups and saucers at the TS? For now I just sat them on the bottom. Maybe I'll use them in a wreath, always wanted to make one with roses, lace ribbons, and cups and saucers. Have some inspirations pics saved somewhere.

Luvs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here