Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Once a mailbox......

Posted by lady_alicia (afinalword@aol.com) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 19:36

.....now a toilet paper holder! I finally finished it, folks!!

It holds 4 rolls of toilet paper. Cost me $3 for the mailbox at a garage sale, $3 for the fleur de lis knob, and then everything else I had. The skeleton key was given to me (everyone knows I love junk), then I used a button and attached beads to it that I had from the end of a scarf, along with this gold chain that had hearts attached to it that was from a shirt I used to have. Then there's a fleur de lis push pin hook that I had in my junk drawer. Have no clue where I got it. I just kind of added things as I went along.

I did a shabby chic paint effect, although it's very hard to see that in the picture unfortunately.

At one point I thought it needed something else, but I try to go with the saying "less is more" because I'm afraid to make things look junky.

What do all of you think? Does it need something else? I've looked at it so much that I can't tell anymore. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Once a mailbox......

Well, how cool is that? I think it's great just as it is, but the way you have the hook, you can easily change it out as the spirit moves you!

o

Oh, yeah. I suppose I could add something little for the holidays to the hook. Good idea!

I mean, I like the way it looks, but I wasn't sure if it really looked okay, or if I just looked at it so much that I "talked" myself into saying it was fine the way it is.

I do like the idea of adding some holday flair to it. Heck, an ornament that's flat would hang well there. And maybe I could put a little green garland and berries on top if I could attach it temporarily to the lid.

Thanks! I love how everyone has great ideas to share.....
Alicia

o

Great idea! Really is very cute & handy too! A fall one of those little "flower picks" from Michael's or one for Christmas would look good & stick the "pick" part in the hole on top! Some are lovely Get 1 with greens & pinecone with red berries or orange & browns with bit of green to tie in with your lovely towels for fall look! Jan

o

What a fantastic idea!!

o

What a great idea. I never really thought about t paper and mail boxes being about the same size. Good reuse!
Kathy

o

You left out the most important gadget of all.

The red flag; so your husband can raise the flag when he takes out the last roll.

*chuckle

o

Thanks, everyone! Glad you all like it. I almost filled that hole in somehow, but then I just left it go. Glad I did, because I like the idea that I could place one of those holiday picks in there. So simple, which is what I love!

You're too funny, Brushworks. You're right, though. That would have been an excellent idea. And my husband uses this bathroom the most! LOL I have a toilet paper holder in my other bathroom that only holds one roll, and no one can EVER refill it. They just know how to take it out. I think that's why I loved the fact that this holds 4 rolls! It'll take longer to empty out. :-)

o

Love this idea, I have an old mail box and was thinking Bread Box. I was was thinking of stenciling the word ' Bread' on the box were you would put your name/address. Use the flag when the bread was getting low.

o

Very cute. Like having the tp close by the toilet. tfs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here