Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottle caps

Posted by babygirl88 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 08 at 18:26

Anyone have any idea what to do with a box of new bottle caps? They are like the caps on beer. A friend gave them to me and i would like to try to make some thing out of them. Maybe Christmas ornaments? There is 500 of them and i know they are just wanting to be made into something, haha
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottle caps

I'm a jewelry fiend....so of course I'm gonna say "make some charms" !! lol ...like for charm bracelets!!! Print out photos of family or vintage photos, or even just words or pictures, or bits and pieces of different things. Drill a small hole for a jump ring.Use them in altered art collage work. Christmas ornaments like you mentioned. Magnets with photos or bits....try some resin, since you have 500...you can make plenty. Add glitter to some, just a teensy bit. Try a picture, and use pliers to "fold" the edges of the cap over to the front, especially if it's colored. Leave them like they are for resin.
My daughter is saving purple and green bottle caps from those girlie drinks for me to make a charm bracelet :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

o

I've filled the insides with pictures and beads and then filled in with a 2-part resin to make magnets. The resin is a little tricky to work with and it does take a while to dry. A lit lighter ran close to the wet resin surface will get rid of any pesky air bubbles, but be careful - the resin can be flamable.

I've also taken some old vintage caps and put pinbacks on them and hung them on a simple shower curtain for decoration.

They can also be used for scrapbooking.

Great find! Have fun with them.

o

Thanks so much for the ideas. About four weeks ago i decided to try working with resin for the frist time. I didn't even think about using it with the bottle caps. Thanks so much for that idea. I have been making beads for jewelry with the resin. A few have turned out great but when i first started with it i had a bunch of duds. :) live and learn i guess.

o

I use Clear-Cast, and if it stays tacky after drying, the company suggested spraying with an acrylic clear spray. I use Rustoleum Crystal Clear. You can use almost anything in the resin as long as it can handle the heat. The acrylic rhinestones don't hold up well, they will melt into a round bead. Glass rhinestones work great.
Here are a few spoons I did, about the same size as a bottle cap. The blue mermaid background is torn tissue paper. My grandchildrens photos I printed out myself.Also it's an example of what happens when you use acrylic rhinestones, they sort of melt. The first spoon is glass rhinestones from a broken tiara.

Spoon Pendant-purple rhinestones

spoon pendant-mermaid and pearls

spoon pendant-cowgirlfeather

spoon pendant-my grandchildren

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

o

Did you make anything yet? I'm getting ready to make a charm bracelet,so I'm looking up ideas and found these.

here
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_jewelry/article/0,,DIY_13762_4420630,00.html

here
http://www.michondesign.com/jewelry-blog/2008/10/02/make-a-resin-bottle-cap-charm/

here
http://www.pccrafts.com/content/view/39/43/

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzus Blog

o

Hello agian. I haven't had time to make anything yet. DH was call out of town to go to Kentucky and I went with him for a few days. Just got back and I am ready to get busy. Thanks so much for the links. Now i have so many ideas and not sure where to start. haha

o

hello babygirl,
i dun know about beer bottle caps cos they are small... but you can take a look at what i did with my jam and kraft cheese bottle covers :) just go to the link below... perhaps you may get some ideas :)

luthien

Here is a link that might be useful: my arty-diy-home decor blog :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here