Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
entry way mirror help

Posted by ndimich (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 07 at 17:12

hi, Hope someone can help me with this problem. We just purchased this house and the owners before had 6 floor to ceiling mirror strips in the entry way... Each strip is about 5 inches wide and then the wall shows thru for a couple of inches and then another strip...It goes on like this for approx 45 to 65 inches....I hate them but they have been liquid nailed on and they are not coming off with out the sheet rock...any ideas as to what i can do with these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: entry way mirror help

Home Depot carries those stained glass murals you put on windows - check in the window shade section of the store. You might be able to find a pretty design for all six mirrors. Have you tried using a "steam machine" to remove the liquid nails they used? You could talk to a clerk at Home Depot, hardware store or a paint store and see what they suggest to take them off. Get online and type in "liquid nails" for the company that makes it and write them a letter asking what they suggest you use to remove them. Are you able to use a garland vine of some sort, different for each season or holiday, to spurce up the area in between the mirrors so it's not so bare and it can take away from what you don't like about them. Maybe put candle wall sconces between them so the light reflects off the mirrors and makes it more prettier. Type in "decorating with mirrors" in your web browser line and maybe you'll find some that your really like. Hope some of these suggestions help.

Sal

o

how about filling in the wall space between and around all the mirror strips with a wood matching the other wood trims in your house. like a huge framed mirror.

o

If it's possible - I'd run a shelf all the way across the mirrors - and have plants on it . ( Especially ones that hang down ) That would camoflague it and the mirror would reflect the plants .

o

I like what essl says about the wood.... with the mirrors
and toomuchglass idea sounds fine tooooo
Then again that craftylady sounds pretty good with the wall sconce idea!!!
Won't you have fun deciding.... EEEK decisions, decisions, decisions....... BUT R E M E M B E R ..... you can always change your mind!!!!again and again!!
Take care
God Bless,
susiesunshine

o

How about if you wallpaper over the mirror strips and then put some wood moulding in-between..I don't know what you like in decor but I was thinking like a paper of prairie grasses or flowers of some sort. Then you could anchor some horizontal shelves (a few) across the wall to display some favorite items. Jeanne S.

o

It sounds like maybe it was done in say the 80's or early 90's...It's not hard to patch the wall just pull the mirrors off and get a putty knife and some patch compound and fill in the areas where it pulls off the wall...might take two fillings, the spackle will shrink when it dries... once it's filled and dried, sand smooth and paint to the color you like...mirros would be great to use in a mosaic project... mosaic forum they talked about doing mosaic on bowling balls! to make yard art...I'm still looking for hubby's bowling ball...lol...just kidding...but I love that idea...it looks so neat!

o

When I married DH, we decided to keep his house and sell mine, because his had more potential for remodeling to accomodate all 6 kids.

The master bedroom had one whole wall done in mirror tiles. What an absolute nightmare! Once I managed to pry them off the wall without killing myself, I had to patch a lot!! Patching is pretty simple...and trust me when I say...well worth the effort! You won't be sorry!

If you really don't like them...no amount of decorating them is going to change your mind about those mirrors.

Good luck! Wear gloves!!

~Sandy~

o

you could stretch some fabric that matches your decor in each section with thumbtacks or clear pushpins and put some faux vines on top & trailing down.

o

I'd transform it into wall art! By using a paint primer called "Gripper" from Home Depot..paint all of the mirrors with a thin coat, to give the mirrors some 'tooth'.
Then-the sky's the limit. Depending on your decor in the adjoining room-maybe decoupage piecess of torn wrapping paper in muted colors along with metallic paper (bronze, copper, etc) to create an abstract kind of look. Once dry-you could dip metallic thread in the modge podge and free form a design on each panel. OR..check out wallpaper borders at the home centers & using wallpaper paste-place coordinating paper on the mirrors. Also you could place tall but thin floor vases with branches of something you like...in between every other section of the panels-for some drama. Lighting cast towards this wall display would be great too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here