Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What I did With my Old Window (Pic)

Posted by lydia1959 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 7, 06 at 17:05

Hopefully it will trick my guests into thinking I painted it. Actually I used transparencies and my Print Shop software to do the lettering and graphics. Stuck them to the backside of my glass with Fiskars clear mounting stickers. Hung it with ring hangers on screws in the wall studs.

If you get close or use a flash on your camera you can see the transparencies and the little mounting stickers. So if you do this project - try hanging it in a area higher up and not in a sunny or well lit area.

With flash.

I'm very happy with the way it turned out!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What I did With my Old Window (Pic)

How do you do that !!?? I have 18 old windows and need ideas. What is print shop and how do you get the words and pics on the transparencies? Thanks for your help///they look great ! Caroline

o

"Print Shop" is just a software program which you can buy at any computer or business store. I have a very old version, I imagine the newer versions would have even more graphics and text to choose from. There are other programs that will work as well and at many different costs. I just did each pane individually as a sign (standard sized paper size) and then used my ink jet printer to print out. You can buy the transparencies at Walmart or an office supply, the brand I used was Hammermill. If you can find 'Clear Window Decals' they work as well - but it is a chore to try and get all the air bubbles out!

Super easy project!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample Edition of Print Shop

o

OMG Lydia1959 (1959 is my birth year, btw). You ought to be proud of it. It is absolutely stunning, especially where you hung it. I have never seen anything quite like that.

I just picked up an old window that I was going to paint another color (it is white), but I have a love for kitschy, type old diners and have a photo of one.

I have Print Shop, Paintshop Pro and another grapical program, so I am sure I can make it work. I like the idea of transparencies, but I think I am going to try it first, on decal paper. It is a sort of like a transparency, over a white sheet. You print your design, and use a water process to get the transparent design off of the white backing, the press in place. I have used this method to print roses photos off of the web, and use them on furniture pieces. They look like they belong there, so I am willing to try it for the window project.

I just love it!!

Mango-Princess

o

Mango-Princess - thanks for the kind words! I hope you'll try the decal paper and let us know how it works. Does that just go through your computer's printer as well? I hadn't thought of anything like that - but it would look even more like painted glass than the transparencies do. Please be sure to post a photo when you get done!

For now, I have 1 other old window and already have a totally different idea for it using vintage fabric.

Too many ideas and not enough wallspace!

o

What a creative idea, thanks for posting. (1959 my birth year too!)

o

Your window is very lovely Lydia. I love the font you used and the pictures are wonderful. The rose valance on top adds just the right amount of bright color to it. You did a fantastic job.

Sal

o

Very very nice. I love the flowers over the top too--and the fonts for the writing. Looks wonderful. Luvs

o

Where do you get decal paper ? Is the water process difficult ? Thanks ...you are right ...way to many projects and not near enough space !! I am going to sell the best ones at my son's restaurant. Nice to have a readymade outlet . Caroline

o

Hi again Lydia,

Yes the decal paper does go in the printer. It looks like one piece when you put it in. Shiny side I think, goes up, and you print your photo, either b/w or color, and when you take it out, you trim it as close to the item as possible, cut it out, dip it in a tray of water for a few minutes, then quickl pull the clear away from the white. You then adhere to the glass or wood as I have done, and it looks like it was painted on. There is something else on the market you buy to spray over it to make it last. I know it works on wood, but I don't know as of yet if it will work on glass, or change the effect one wants.

Mango Princess

o

Wow Lydia! that is so cool! I love what you did.

Haziemoon

o

Just breathtaking, Lydia. I love it love it love it!

Thanks for the instructions, and everyone else's input, too ... I've been looking for old windows all summer and just haven't found any yet.

Someday ... someday

o

That's nice!

I have an old window hanging above our bed. I made four quilted panels with a star in the center of each and alternated different red, white and blue fabrics. It looks awesome!

My step mom has a few that she got from her Dad that she wants to give me and I'm thinking I'm going to do a yo-yo quilt star for behind that one!

I LOVE OLD WINDOWS :)

o

My daughter found a very old one...no glass and I think it had been a nine pane window...the paint was all chipped...They were doing some remodeling...She had the guys install the window just like it was in a wall at the top of the stairs overlooking the living room..It is so cool...I just love it.

patti

o

What a very clever idea. I love it. Great job!!!

o

Neat idea ! I have a perfect place that I can do one. It is a closed in staircase but has an area like where yours is hung. I love old windows. I found one at an antique shop with a mirror attached. It is hanging in my shabby chic bathroom.

o

Awesome - just awesome !!

o

We got these a few years back from a house that was getting new windows and the garbage men were there taking them when my brother-in-law picked up eight of them for me! At the time we didn't know what we were going to do with them and he said I'd figure something out. He knows I love T2T. They have the original wavy glass and the lead caming. I also made a vanity out of one, but I have to go and take a pic of that one!

Here is a link that might be useful: My window project

o
RE: your window project

Lydia, I have a question for you. I have some plain windows that I haven't touched yet. I got them for $1 each. I love the way you did your window and I'm wondering if you think I could add some caming to them?? I've never actually looked at the caming in stores, but would that look strange? Or is there something else I could do to dress them up if I did something like yours. I just love the way you did that window. I think I saw it last year when you posted it. Or somehow I got to view it because I couldn't believe what a great job you did on it! I'm not that creative. :) Anyway, love your window project!

o

I was really surprised to see this thread from last year back at the top!

Alicia - I think the caming is a great idea! I think you can buy wood or wood look caming pretty cheap, you could then distress it as well as the window frame. The transparencies would probably fit perfectly (maybe even need cutting) and you wouldn't have to worry about seeing where they are placed (like they are in my project).

It's hard to find windows like the one I found, so I think adding the caming is a super idea!! I might even have to make another one now!
BTW - Those windows you found were a great find!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here