Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I refinish a framed mirror?

Posted by joanna427 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 30, 06 at 13:35

Hi everyone,
I just bought a framed mirror from a garage sale, and I'm hoping you can help me! I want to refinish the frame (because the paint is chipped and dinged up),but am not sure how to do it. What's the best way to refinish a frame? (mirror is about 2 feet by 3 feet) Should I paint or can I stain? The original color of the paint is gold (looks metallic, not flat) Would love suggestions!!!

Thanks,
Joanna
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I refinish a framed mirror?

My first suggestion is to take the mirror out, if you want to sand. I did a couple without removing the mirror, and damaged the mirror
during sanding. If you want to stain it you have to sand it down or use a paint remover. That is alot of work. I'd paint several coats of the paint you want on it, or use a
primer, then paint. On something that small,if you don't have primer already...it's just chaeaper to do several coats of the paint you want to use.

Haziemoon

o

oh I would keep the paint and get some water based dark stain and antique it.....just brush on stain and wipe off for that distressed look....(just me love the shabby look)

o

Thanks for both of your input! Does it matter what type of sand paper I use? (course or fine?) I'm thinking of sanding, repainting it with the original color (do I use acrylic paint or spray paint?) and then possibly antiquing it like suggested...Is there a certain type of stain I have to use for distressing it? And wipe off with a cloth? Also, should I seal it once it's done?
Thanks!
Joanna

o

the type of sand paper you will use depends on what your trying to achieve....if you just want to file the dings chips out...(which if you going to distress I would leave them lol) you would use 150 grain....then a 200 grain to smooth....but if you are going to antique it....I would go buy the black antique kit you can buy at walmart for 10.00....it has everything you need....gold spray paint and black Water based stain....sand paper and paint brush...first you spray with gold let dry....sand it where you want more distress...(corners inside close to mirror etc) then paint on stain and wipe off....just keep adding more stain til you get the look you want....if you want to do it yourself with your own look or color....spray paint it the best way to go...you get a nice even finish and no brush marks...anyway good luck and post a pic when your done:) oh and here is a photo of my ivory distressed window I painted....I just love the look

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here