Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for deck railing?

Posted by theisma (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 13:24

My sister now has "deck envy" since my husband and I completed our deck. We used dump rake teeth (from old horse drawn farm implements) for our deck railing. So now she would like to come up with something equally clever/unique for her own soon-to-be deck. The floor will be a composite; the siding is vinyl. She wants something low/no maintenance. She would really like metal, which could be powercoated. Oh, and she needs LOTS of railing - probably 60+ feet. Any ideas?

I'm sorry, I would add a photo of our railing, but need directions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for deck railing?

Yikes, 60 feet! I was thinking bed head and footboards. but she would a lot of them.
Let us know what she finally decides on.
kathy

o

I have an idea!

For our deck we recycled our old metal stair railings-you know the kind on many pre and post-war houses. It sort of looks like wrought-iron but of course it's not-and it often has curly designs in it-often painted white, dark green or black. We had this left over when we removed the old stairs and entranceway to our house.

We used two 4ft panels of it and then went to Habitat for Humanity Restore to get more-they had quite a bit for cheap. Our railing consisted of the black metal pieces anchored in wood on on all sides with a wooden top board. My husband took apart some of the straight railing pieces and placed these in to finish the design.

It really looks great and our neighbors have remarked on how nice it looks. It hardly cost us anything except for the wood and I really like it's delicate look combined with the strong lines created with the wood. The open metalwork is also prefect for letting vines climb up. I have 2 clematis growing through it.

I'll try to post a pic of it.

Getting 60 feet of it would indeed be difficult as designs vary and you'd probably want some uniformity to the look.

o

Somewhere I saw a pic of old bicycles used for a fence. They were painted different colors and had window boxes hanging off them. It was somewhere on GW. If I find again I'll link.
kathy

o

Great ideas here so far!

I'd love to see a picture of your railing theisma. If you go to the text right above where the messages start on this page.
On-Topic Discussions [Switch to: Gallery] Choose Gallery. There you can upload a picture off your computer the easiest way. Just come back to this post and let us know it is there!

o

Me and Kay on a bike fence... but think it should be useable as a railing as well.

Kay and me on the awesome bike fence

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here