Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
iron table and chairs

Posted by flowergirl1211 (linlmart@centurytel.net) on
Thu, Oct 19, 06 at 12:36

Hi All, I rec'd an iron table and chairs from my daughter. I'm wondering how do I get the old paint off. It is rusty from staying out in the weather.
Should I consider just having it sand plasted? Would this get rid of the rust?
TIA,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: iron table and chairs

It depends on how bad the rust is.I did a set earlier this year,and dh just pressure washed it for me,then i sprayed it with a few coats of rustoleum paint,then i recovered the seats.Looked like a new set.Here's some pictures.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Kathi

o
RE: iron table and chairs

if it's less than 60 years old? just wirebrush it to get any flakey bits off (if it's bad, they make wire brushes that attatch to a drill bit) and shoot it with Rustoleum in your choice of color (I'm currently a fan of their 'hammered' finish paint in the bronze)

you can also get 'naval jelly' at the car stores that will eat away the rust for you - it's pretty simple to use, though bad for your lawn, since it needs to be hosed off. then you'd have a nice, etched surface to paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here