Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to refinish a laminated dresser

Posted by carofl93 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 04 at 10:33

Hubby and I went out curb shopping last night and found a fantastic Bassett dresser from the 60's-70's. It's about 5 feet long with a rectangular top and beautifully arced drawers. Its some sort of yellowing white wood looking laminate but has great lines and will be perfect for our new baby's room as it is the perfect height to use as a changing table. How would I go about refinishing this? Would I sand the laminate off or just rough it up? We're not finding out the sex of the baby, so I don't want to make it gender specific. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to refinish a laminated dresser

I refinished a laminate dresser several years ago and it still looks great.The first thing you need to do is get a bonding primer and paint the whole thing.Then paint with acrylic enamel in whatever color you choose.Use a small sponge roller for the larger surfaces.If it has grooves or whatever you can paint those areas with a brush first then the roller and smooth out again with the brush.The roller will leave a nice smooth finish without leaving brush marks and painting will go a lot faster.You can finish with an acrylic sealer but it isn't necessary.After the baby comes you can add some stencils or something if you like.I did a faux marble finish on the top of mine with a sponge and several coats of acrylic sealer over that.I did it about 10 years ago and it has had lots of wear and still looks great.
Good luck and congratulations on the new baby!......Lillie

o

I recently repainted a couple of old nightstands. They were from my parents' bedroom set - probably over 45 yrs old (don't make'em like that anymore.) The tops were laminate. I just sanded them to rough them up. I used a metallic latex paint (light blue). They came out really cute. Used BF's paint sprayer. Wish I could post a pic. I do have a pic, just can't figure out how to post!

o

caro -
Scrub it well with TSP (Spic and Span, or the liquid stuff by Jasco) to get rid of the decades of polish and wax.

Then get a primer made for laminates (ask andy decent paint store or large hardware store) and prime it carefully.

From there, you just paint - a nice satin enamel would be good for kids.

o

I have also refinished a laminate night stand & dresser. I sanded it just to rough it up, put on a thick coat of Kilz which sticks to ANYTHING. Then used a semi gloss latex enamel (couple of coats)to paint then sealed with a water based polyurethane. That was 2 yrs ago & still looks great. Betty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here