SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catsmom6

Old mirror frame

catsmom6
18 years ago

I have an old LARGE mirror frame, probably from a bedroom set, that I would like to use for a different purpose. trouble is, I don't have any ideas, being extremely unimaginative.

Does anyone make incredible craft things with pieces like this? The frame is about 40" square.

Thanks,

Cathy

Comments (30)

• techsupport8
    18 years ago

mosaic, mosaic, mosaic . . . .

• catsmom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmm, I guess that would be great, except that what I really need is a PURPOSE for the frame, instead of how to decorate it. You know, like some people use fencing for a headboard, etc. That kind of idea. (I don't need a headboard, tho. LOL)
    Thank you for the idea for decorating it.
    Cathy

• Related Discussions

Take a broken chair, an old metal bed and an old picture frame ~~

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm still working on things:-) Here is the painted window so far: I also have started working on this window. I nailed the picket planter to the window and hope to find some small shutters. It needs another coat of paint. I think I will just use fake flowers in this planter: I can't finish the metal bed until it's ready to place in the garden, have to wait for winter to end:-) I have been painting the bed spindles with the same color I painted spindles to make garden tools to hang from the side of the bed. Got that idea from a poster here who made the tools hanging from a old rake:-) Thanks for that idea!! Also in the picture are 2 insulators that I'm making into hanging candle holders. I need to find something to put on the wire to jazz them up:-) The other white spindle holds a sign that says 'This Way To Mom's Garden". It needs to be painted with another color.
    ...See More

Old mirror--dusty frame

Q

Comments (1)
    Are you sure it's "crud" and not an antiquing glaze? I would try laquer thinner and a spft cloth and a toothpick......and count on repainting...if I wanted the crud off... But I think I would like the frame better with a little "character". Linda C
    ...See More

Old wicker framed mirror

Q

Comments (1)
    Great transformation. Nice work the old crocheted material flowers. The mirror is just adorable now and it really was ugly to begin with. LIL
    ...See More

old old picture frame--painted shiny gold )-:

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a very old picture frame--probably 90 years old--very ornate--in decent condition EXCEPT--someone painted it with a shiny gold paint--liked a gilded effect. I've had the frame about 25 years in a closet. Should I spray paint it white? Use as it? Try to bronze somehow? Can you get the fake gilded paint off somehow? I am grateful for any advice you can offer.
    ...See More
  • lydia1959
    18 years ago

You could hang it by chains to "frame" a view? (Under a raised deck or on a porch)

Paint a piece of plywood with the blackboard paint and use the frame to frame it.

It's fun to take pictures of your family with them holding it and looking through.

• wackyweeder
    18 years ago

Paint or finish the frame as you would like and simply hang it on the wall empty. or use it to frame an existing piece of wall art you have even if it is framed. This approach is very popular at the moment on the designer shows...
    or, fill the center with a board and mosiac it and make a table top for your patio.

• Laney_Bug
    18 years ago

I have taken old mirror frames added pegboard and hung
    things from them. Example one I painted fire engine red and hung red and white kitchen utensils from. I also painted one
    green stapled chicken wire on the back side. I hung a
    grapevine added grapes and a few grape saucers. It really depends on you decor of what you frame. Lighthouses,frogs,angels,birds,apples,etc. Hope this will
    give you some ideas to get started thinking on. Oh and one more thing I took a metal one before spray painted it copper
    hung it from chain and now hang my copper goods from it as though it would be a pot rack. Laney Bug

• cindee11461
    18 years ago

I saw the coolest thing. They used an old frame and put it on a wooden easel they made out of lodge pine. They sat a vase with flowers in the middle sorta a living picture.

• Laney_Bug
    18 years ago

Cindee
    That sound like a very clever idea to me.

Laney Bug

• des_arc_ya_ya
    18 years ago

How about using a foamcore backing and totally COVERING the surface with photos of family/friends, etc.? I love collage looking things and that frame sounds like a great size to work with.

• catsmom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, I can't get over the great ideas you all have for the frame. I'm so glad that I asked. Now I just have to sort out the ones that are usable for my house. I wish I could post a picture but I don't know how. Can you copy and paste on forums?
    Anyway, thank you all for inspiring me.
    Cathy

• CraftingMomma
    18 years ago

I took an old framed mirror from a bureau that was my grandfathers, crackle painted it and put it in my bathroom over my sink. Never fails to get comments.

Joyce

• catsmom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

picture of frame.

• lydia1959
    18 years ago

Wow! That's much prettier than I expected! Can't wait to see what you end up doing with it.

• Laney_Bug
    18 years ago

Oh no that is too pretty for what I suggested early!!!!!!!!I don't know your decor, but if it is victorian.Oh I could
    see it dry brushed white and then a touch of gold. Then maybe
    I would staple a lace panel on the back,add a hand bag,fan,
    feather bowes,fancy hats,pearls, gloves,and shoes. Oh Oh it so pretty!!!!
    Laney Bug

• lydia1959
    18 years ago

How about one of those french memo boards inside the frame - pretty fabric over a padded back and ribbons criss-crossed to hold momentos and photos?? I'd leave it the natural wood color although I love white too!

• catsmom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, I really like that idea of the memo board. I also like "framing a view" only there isn't anything really "framable" here.

Laney, my house is anything but Victorian. There isn't even a name for it. Eclectic is too kind even. Our rooms are all helter skelter, nothing is built in- it's a plain old 100 year old house and a housewife with no imagination.
    Actually even if I use any of the ideas here, I might not know where to put it. Isn't that sad, but I'm going to try something!!!

• CraftingMomma
    18 years ago

I really like the memo board idea. It doesn't have to be victorian. Depends on the material/ribbons you choose. If you used a country print, with buttons at the juncture of the ribbons it would be fairly country looking. If use muted colors and whitewash the frame maybe shabby chic. You could also do the same thing and use it for a headboard too. Just mount it on the wall behind the bed. If it's not wide enough ... add some shutters on either side.

How about a fireplace screen? Decorative only obviously. But you could put a picture behind it ... paint a picture of your own ... or attach some small nails/tacks around the back and wrap copper wire and beads across the opening. You might even be able to attach some votive cups (away from the wood frame for safety), with the copper wire, and beads the light flickering would be gorgeous.

Joyce

• kacram
    18 years ago

Well, that frame is great! I would put a mirror back in it and hang it in the livingroom!

• mzmarty
    18 years ago

I agree with Kat-Wa. Put a mirrow back in it. It's much too nice for a memo board. BTW, I understand about the helter skelter house too. My DH says our house is done in Early Halloween.

• catsmom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hahaha, don't people come up with the funniest descriptions for things? My step-son calls our place Sanford and Sons. I DO have a lot of "stuff" (like the mirror LOL).

• use2bcapecodr
    18 years ago

I have an antique picture frame hanging over my fireplace mantle. With each changing season, I hang a different wreath in the center of it. I have even hung a dozen long-stemmed red roses UP-SIDE-DOWN...stems tied together with a lovely ribbon...in the middle and allowed them to dry. That was striking!

Your frame is large enough to sit right on the mantle. I love it!

It would also be great hanging in a foyer. Replace the mirror and attach a matching shelf to the bottom.

And...if all else fails...I will gladly take it off your hands!

~Sandy~

• TwoMonths
    18 years ago

it looks like it has a flat bottom....how about hanging it upside down and use the flat bottom for a shelf....that would be very Eclectic and put nothing in it...that frame is art in itself and could just show wall covering thru it.. -or- if you have a small window that size it could be put as a frame for the window and use the flat bottom for the shelf....

• catsmom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ooh, Sandy, I love that idea of hanging wreaths in it. I wish I had a fireplace. I also like the idea of hanging it upside down and using it for a shelf, Two Months (Why "Two Months"?). Great idea!!
    Sandy, would you really take it off my hands?

• use2bcapecodr
    18 years ago

That would also be absolutley awesome with a mirror in it hanging over a vanity in an antiquey bathroom. You know...with an old dresser holding a sink.

How 'bout padding and tufting the middle, bolting it to the wall and using it for the headboard of a twin bed?

Pad the middle and use it for the back to a bench stained to match with padding on the seat.

Hang it on the wall as a frame for a collage of antique family photos...printed in sepia. (Oh gee...that would look great in my living room on my reddish walls!)

Heck...I'd sneak it out of your garage in the middle of the night if you weren't so far away! LOL

~Sandy~

• des_arc_ya_ya
    18 years ago

Okay, I gotta know! What did you decide to do with it!? LOL

• catsmom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Haha, what I've done so far is bring it out of the garage and onto the screened-in porch to look at it. I'm trying to decide whether or not to re-finish it. It's just so darned pretty. I like your idea of using it for a photo frame, but I don't have a place that I could put it.

• sladybug2
    18 years ago

Catsmom- I like your mirror too!! I'm trying to figure out what to do with some old picture frames. I like the idea of using yours for a hallway shelve. Put hooks on the bottom of it to hang stuff on.Maybe paint it too if you don't care for the color. ( or distress it)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

I think it is a beautiful oak, finished or not.

I can see it in any room in my eclectis house.

If it were mine, I'd probably refinish it, put a mirror in it,and hang it in either the dining area, or over the sofa, possibly with a few other things of interest to make a 'grouping'.

Additionally, seasonal wreaths could be hung in front of the mirror.

Sue

• catsmom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmm, I was just thinking......maybe I could use an idea from all of these if I cut some of the sides off and put the bottom back on. That way it would be short enough for me to use with my low ceilings. I really hate to cut it, but that's what I'd have to do to use it here. I also was thinking about using it as a fireplace front to use with my fake fireplace logs if I can find a wall where it wouldn't stick out too much.
    Maybe I just need a new (old) house to put it in. LOL

• uncidon
    18 years ago

I took the mirror out of an old dresser frame and attached the frame to a unfinished bookcase. Refinshed with paint & antique glaze. It is for sale in my antique booth in Woodstock, Georgia.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• patty_cakes
    18 years ago

Why not hang it OVER(on top of)a bathroom mirror? You might need something to hold it down on the bottom, and that's where strips of velcro come in! I've used it to hang large trays, too big for those plate holders, on the side of a kitchen cabinet. ;o)

patty_cakes

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource