Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wonder horse into a carousel horse

Posted by gakernil (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 31, 05 at 9:27

years back in Idaho, there were many women making carousel horses from the wonder horse spring toy. now here in Wisconsin, I have a niece that collects carousel horses and is getting married in May. question is, how do I even start the project??? is there a book or instructions someplace that will point me in the right direction? could use your help!!!! thanks....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wonder horse into a carousel horse

i saw a horse like that in garden junk and i have asked the person how she did it.soon we should have instructions.

o

Here are a couple links that may be helpful. The linkable link only gives the prepping instructions, not the painting ones - you might try emailing the author and see if she can help?

http://rotonics.com/carousel/unfinished.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Wonder Horse instructions

o

hi
i made a carousel horse like this i used patio paints from walmart. sprayed him with one color then trimmed him out.add jewels and fancy ropes.start in the stomach drill a
hole the size of the pole you are going to use. i used a free standing brass lamp pole.you may use pipe or pvc pipe or a fancy banister pole.mine is inside my house .

o

I made a few of these,I used crackle medium and 'antiqued' them(now I use thinned down white school glue for aging objects,works great)and I used wooden closet rods and finials on top,painted gold.There's a lot of trims you can use such as the rope trims and braids,laces,silk flowers.They look so nice when finished.I'd love to see a pic when you're finished!By the way,I sold one to a lady who had a baby boutique to set in her shop window,a cute decoration.

o

I made a lot of these carousel horses in the past. You should first fill the holes. I cut down the dowels holding the springs, glued them in place and filled with wood putty. Then if you like it crackled, paint the entire horse with the undercolor you like, put on the crackle medium, paint with the finish color and wait for crackle. I can't wait so I use a hair dryer. If you don't want to crackle, just paint the areas the colors you like. I paint roses on the seat and down the neck. The mane and tail in gold. I spray it with a finish varnish. I mount it on a closet dowel (using small dowels under neath to keep it from sliding down the pole. The base can be wood or an outdoor umbrella stand (please paint though). Hope this gets you started.

o

I took an assortment of various colored silk flowers and dipped them in Stiffy ( It looks like thinned elmer's glue. I hot glued them , after dry to the horse. I added texture to the horses mane with yarn . When all of these had dried, I painted the hose white and then hand painted the details on it. I sealed it and still have it. I plan on doing a patriotic one in an old washing machine tub and using it as a planter outside.

o

Here is a mosaic one, but it gives you the idea. Similar look could be achieved with paint.
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic wonder zebra

o
And here is a painted one.

Go to garden junk and do a search for wonder horse.
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted wonder horse on lamp post

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here