Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are you working on now?

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 9:08

I have some old pillows and a bunch of upholsery fabric to cover for the little dog to sit on. He loves to sit on the couch pillows even tho he has his own beds.

That is when I get tired of making plate flowers in prep for holiday sales. And converting junk into pf displays.

I need to come up with another side table for the living room. It has to hold/hide lots of papers and books. Preferably hide. And hold a laptop. But i am really trying to stay focused on the plate flowers and the pillows. I know myself - shopping for a potential side table to make over is much more fun than actually sewing pillows. Even so,I would appreciate suggestions or to see side table make overs or made from something other than a side table!

I have one side table that is an old record player stand made by my great grandfather. It has a shelf for records (laptop) and slots for records (scrapbooks and note books and magazines.) I should refinish it, but it is covered up much of the time.

It will motivate me if I promise myself I can work on that AFTER I cover the pillows AND increase my plate flower stash to at least 60.

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are you working on now?

I'm working on Jingle Bell Flowers ... and melted spoon roses. It's just experimenting so far. It keeps me out of trouble ! LOL

o

I'm working on a toilet paper holder for my bathroom, and a shelf for my son's play area. He has too many toys! And I even donated a bunch last week.

I've also been spray painting things while the weather is still nice. I have a bunch of ideas and things that needed painted, so I stopped the other two projects above to do the painting.

I can't wait to finish the toilet paper holder so I can post it. It would have been done, but I didn't like how it turned out the first time. SO I repainted it!

I'd love to see the Jingle Bell Flowers and nelted spoon roses!

And, Kathy, what are plate flowers?? Sounds very pretty!

Alicia

o
Picture

Pictures of Jingle Bell Flowers ( posted on the garden junk forum )

I haven't started on the spoons yet ...... this weekend looks good .

Here is a link that might be useful: jingle bell flowers

o

Alicia please post pics. I love artistically painted things, but unfortunately my talents don't go in that direction, tho I keep trying! I need to spray paint some displays for craft fairs "my colors" so I'd better hop to it. Tomorrow maybe.
Plate flowers are "flowers" made from old dishes that you put in your garden on a pipe stem so they face outward like a flower. If they are glass they sparkle in the sun. And they add color and interest year round. Here is a recent thread I started at garden junk to show off my (then) latest creations.
Kathy, I'm eager to see the spoons too.
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Plate flowers

o

I made some totems, birdbaths,and pf's for a spot to share at county fair-last minute she didn't have room left for my things...so I had to make room to store them. I got some shelves from my job (part time at gift shop that down-sized). So I installed shelves for glass on one wall and other crafts on adjoining wall. Glued more glass.Worked in yard and house...cleaning.Raining now, so I'm sewing owl little pillows. Also sewing towels to potholder to hang on oven handle. I made a USC planter chair, also a Clemson one...but no where to sell them--the gift shop has no room. I can bring a couple little things(owner gets 25%). I did get an application for artist consignment, but $100 to join and $50 space or $100 monthly space. I did sell my little car so I can buy a used truck-trying to commit to making my crafts a profitable business...I don't think "business" as much as "creative"...praying about it!

o

I love the plate flowers, Kathy. How creative those are! I'll never look at plates the same way again. And it's funny, because I always see tons and tons of plates stacked at our local UFO (used furniture outlet) store. Never could think of anything to do with them.

And those Jungle Bell Flowers are so ingenious. I think I could even do that! It amazes me the things people come up with, how someone actually got to thinking that they could pry those open with pliers and stick another one in the center. Wow.

I guess if I stare at something long enough, I may come up with an ingenious idea myself!

Everyone sounds super busy, so that's good. It's fun to hear what you all are doing in your spare time.

I'll have to get moving on my toilet paper holder so I can post it. I need to embellish it a little too, and I'm just not quite sure what to put on it. I may need everyone's help when the time comes. :)

Alicia

o

Right now I am working on redoing my sons bathroom.He has no windows in his bath, so I am tryin' to create one with an old chippy paint one I have. Going for a rustic/campy type theme. Any ideas shoot them at me. The curtain rod for the "window" will be a white berch branch, his Tp floor holder will be an old tall shoe mold, I have an old wooden fishnet for the wall, his washcloths and hand towels will be rolled and placed into an old enamel slop bucket, his trashcan is a small old wooden nail barrel, an old antler will be mounted for his handtowel near the sink....still looking for more ideas.

o

Sounds great amaqan! I love the old shoe mold for a toilet paper holder. I just saw one at my fave junk store (which is closing 70% off everything), and that use never occurred to me. I hope you post pics.

I got more glass for plate flowers, cuz of the store that is closing. No progress on the pillows. I have too much upholstery fabric and I'm not sure which to use. Indecision is holding me back. I was going to throw the pillows out they look so bad, but I know the dog will love them.

Kathy

o

I'm converting a wooden kitchen drawer tray into a cell phone, iPod charging station.

I'll share it when it's done.

Thanks for the inspiration that I get from here, folks!

o

Great idea brushworks! I've been painting saucers from the thrift store with ceramic paint. Not what I have listed about, except they may be usable on plate flowers. We'll see.

I haven't baked them in the oven yet. Supposedly that makes the color permanent. They have to dry thoroughly, so I'll bake them tomorrow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here