Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
back lol need out of the box xmas window for antique store asap

Posted by mojojojogrlnj (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 07 at 7:07

I do want to thank all who helped me make my fall window the talk of the town....I only wish that i could have photographed it....everytime i did i got a terrible glare....

anyway its that time again...and I need ideas OUT OF THE BOX ideas for an antique store xmas window...here are some things I am kicking around but not sure how to make it work...

I have an old door and want to make the store window look like your are looking through a door to the outside... and some vintage windows also to make it look like you are looking at and outside scene....

im thinking tree, old cast iron pot and stand with some sort of fake fire under it to look like something hot is cooking....a mirror on the ground to look like a frozen pond...borax for snow

what else could i add? what else is xmas, snow,outdoors etc....

or toss me some of your own window ideas...Im open to anything (antique store in a small southern town)THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: back lol need out of the box xmas window for antique store as

I think I'd go with a movie theme of sorts....take some of the notable props from famous Christmas movies and work them into your idea.
Santa's cane by the fire (Miracle on 34th Street), the leg lamp in the window, a BB gun under the tree A Christmas story), a dog with antlers pulling a sled with gifts stacked high (How the Grinch Stole Christmas), bells on the tree with a book signed by Clarence nearby(Wonderful Life)
I'd a be a conversation starter for sure. Kind of fun to stand there and see how many Christams movie symbols folks could find.

o

how about christmas lights hung up around the antique windows but put it from the correct point of view ( make it look like they are on the outside of the house scene) .. I hope I am making sense. LOL and some frost on the windows to. Icicles hanging from the roof. A stack of logs. The red salvation army thingy (hehe). Snowball fight.
(styrofoam). Can you put some christmas music to play outside for people to hear as they are walking by. There are alot of snowflake ornament /craft/ decor that you could hang from the ceiling at all different heights using fishing line.

I do like the ideas metioned by carol too.

o

If I understand correctly, you want to be looking from the entry hall into the yard via decorations. The door & windows will need to be close to the viewer (in this case, the big store window). The door, will, of course, have to be open. I like the idea of the pond & fire. Most of us wouldn't have this in the FRONT yard, so go with a back or side yard idea. The pot could be soup or chocolate for the skaters/players in the snow (depending on pot size). Maybe a tree decorated for the birds w/extra color for humans to enjoy. Think late 1800's. "Victorian" "Early America Boston". If you have manequins, a couple of skaters or snowball fighters as indicated above. If not, the sled to indicate they've run inside to warm up. Hope these help a little.

Maybe you could get a pix from inside the store & we could use our imaginations to 'reverse' so we could see the finished product??? It'll be a lot of work, but sounds like fun, too!! Glad the fall one was so successful! Good luck!!!! JayOkie

o

I love all the ideas....and keep them coming....i did get a cauldron that makes smoke...(for the hot soup or hot chocolate cooking in the pot) and yes the outside is the inside and the inside is the outside if that makes ....sense....im going to use carols idea with a couple of movie props...got a cane...wish i had the leg lamp from a chistmas story lol....the cane i will prop against the open door...(thanks carol) and the lights around the window (with candels would look awesome) and since im from nj I like the eastern idea of boston....I want to be the talk of the town and hopefully have the paper do an article on the window display....which of course I will credit you guys for all the help you have given me....thank you so much keep them coming nov 1 is the big day!!!

o

I don't have a suggestion for your decorating, but I would like to suggest that you post your question on the DECORATING forum. There is a lot more activity over there and lots of LOVELY people have awesome ideas that they can share!
Good luck

o

thanks to all the window was a big hit...this is what we did....used tide for the snow lol...laid pine cones and pine leaves....two vintage windows so it was like you were inside looking out.....big cast iron pot with vintage wagon wheel a pine tree with a single star...an axe with firewood...I got a halloween prop that looks like fire and placed under the cast iron pot and a fog machine inside to make it look like something was cooking....the whole window I wanted non commercial and pure (I wanted that welcome home to a country xmas theme and I think i pulled it off thanks to you guys) Im gonna try to see if I can get a pic that wont glare....

o

They are reproducing that lamp,ask Santa and you can use it next year,here is one site
www.uncrate.com/men/home/lighting/a-christmas-st... - 17k - Similar pages

http://www.uncrate.com/men/home/lighting/a-christmas-story-leg-lamp/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here