Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old wooden window

Posted by lady_alicia (afinalword@aol.com) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 21:51

Had this old window all summer long and just got to removing the glass from it. I think I will put a mirror behind it and hang it on the wall. Not sure yet. I've seen lots of things done with windows. Although, it has the part that opens, so that's kind of different. Hmmmmm...

Want to share your creation?? I love seeing pics!

BEFORE:

BeforeGlassRemoved

Photobucket

Photobucket

AFTER:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old wooden window

How much space is there behind the window that opens? That would make a really cool shadow box. I've been wanting to try some of the "mirror" spray paint they are making now, to spray on glass. I wonder how that would have looked on the textured glass you removed? Very cool window, lady alicia. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

o

You know, I was going to ask about those pieces of glass, what I could do with them, if anything. I had four that were fine; the other two broke trying to get them out. And the window that opens kind of opens in half. My camera is dead right now, but I'll try to upload the picture later when I get it off of my camera.
I'm thinking I could maybe try that mirror spray paint on the glass and put them into picture frames and do some sort of collage maybe. Didn't even know they made such a thing. Do you think the craft stores have it, or like a home improvement store?

Thanks for the ideas!
Alicia

o

I haven't actually looked for the paint in stores yet, but Krylon makes it. I saw on a blog somewhere where someone used it inside clear glass vases to make faux mercury glass. I would imagine Hobby Lobby or Michael's might carry it.

o

I'm going to take a look next time I'm at Michael's. Bad thing is, my husband threw those pieces of glass away! ARGH! I'm so upset about it. I put them in a box so my toddler wouldn't get cut on them or play with them, and my husband thought it was garbage and threw them away. Oh, well. I guess now I have something new to look for at a trash store, or Goodwill ..... or glass plant! LOL I'm so mad, though. It figures. I was really excited about painting those too!

o

I saw the glass paint at Hobby Lobby in MI a couple of days ago. Didn't see it at Michael's, but that doesn't mean they don't have it. I didn't buy any because my cart was filled with other projects, but it is on my list.

o

There's a Hobby Lobby in Ohio where my daughter goes to college. Maybe I could get her to pick some up for me. And guess what? I did keep the glass! I thought my husband threw it away, but I put the broken pieces in the box, not the good pieces. I forgot that I had set the good ones aside on my table out back. I was so excited when I saw them tonight! :) Plus, I found three other square pieces of frosted glass that were in lights in our old drop ceiling. So those would be good also because they have a texture to them. I hit the jackpot tonight! LOL Now I just need to find that paint. :) I'll check with our Michael's and JoAnn Fabrics. Maybe I'll luck out.

o

Can't wait to see your finished project!! Good luck.
Great windows.

o

Did you give your DH a kiss and a hug to make up...LOL...Glad you found them...

o

Leveta - Yeah, I guess I should have given him a kiss and hug, huh? I was so thrilled that they were still here. He came home and said, wow, where were they? I told him I cleaned up out back there they were on the tray I had put them on. I completely forgot that I did that, and then I had thrown other stuff on top of the tray.

Sorie6 - I'm thinking of maybe attaching a small window box onto the window at the bottom and planting flowers in it maybe. I saw that in my one magazine. I still have to sand it down. I like the chippy look it has, but I'm afraid to leave it like that in case it's lead paint. I'll probably just repaint it. I did just pick up a metal box at the Goodwill (posted pic of it in my other post), so maybe I can use that at the bottom of the window. We'll see.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here