Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
royal doulton plates

Posted by mboston (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 29, 04 at 20:37

I recently saw a set of about 6 plates at Goodwill, all teddy bear characters in christmas settings, all titled and numbered, and made by Royal Doulton. Each plate was $15 to $20. There was also a blue bird plate, titled Going Home (I think) by Royal Doulton, also numbered. It was $20. I thought that was high priced for GW but now I wonder about the value. Does anyone know? I haven't been able to find any webiste about their plate collections.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: royal doulton plates

I think GW prices are high in general. Did you check e-bay to see if they have anything near what your looking for up for sale?

o

If I were you I would try to see if they are still there, I saw Royal Doulton christmas plates from 70's online for 55-140 dollars!!! These are extremely collectable. Antique shops online sell them at very high prices.

o

I wondered if the numbering process was on the up and up. The numbers were done in gold colored handwriting while all the other writing was in black.

o
royal doulton plates

If you instincts tell you they may not be on the up and up leave them on the shelf...up here this stuff never makes it to the floor, probably the employees get "first choice"...I stopped going to our salvation army because of this.

o

I checked E-Bay and didn't see any of the Teddy Bear plates or the Bluebird plate, which I really liked. I think I will go to Books a Million and see what I can find in print to look at. Thanks for the info.

o

I spent a couple hours at Books A Million yesterday but couldn't find the specific plates I saw at GW in any books. I went back to GW and they were still there. Across the top of the plate it said THE FRANKLIN MINE RECOMMENDS. There was the Royal Doulton name with the lion crown above it. The name of each plate was TEDDY SkIING, TEDDY CAROLING, ETC. The pieces were each numbered HA 1236, etc. There were 7 plates plus the bluebird one called SETTLING IN. All were either $15 or $20 apiece. I have also searched the internet sites and haven't found anything. The part about Franklin Mint confuses me. Don't they advertise in magazines for different poreclin figurines, etc? Any info would be appreciated.

o

Sounds too good to be true. My mum has some plates by Doulton. Bought them across the pond - England! That's why they're on the shelf.

o

I finally found a link for the Franklin Mint on E-Bay. After going through 43 screens of plates and figurines, I saw a set of three RD Teddy Bear plates (3 of the 7 I saw at GW) for a beginning bid of $9.99. I also found two bird plates, different than the one at GW, but probably from the same series. One was $4.99 and the other for $10. I printed them out and I think I will go to GW and see if I can get the bird plate for less, cause I really like it. The others I will skip. I was just determined to find out if they really knew what they were doing at GW or if they had overpriced the Teddy Bear plates. Obviously, they had!

o
Seeing you at The Premiere Royal Doulton Event and Expo

In the true spirit of innovation, Whitley Collection/Seaway China announces a premier Royal Doulton International Event to take place July 17-19, 2009 at the Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest in Ypsilanti, Michigan. This preeminent international exposition will feature an expansive roster of prestigious, international exhibitors featuring the finest in Royal Doulton, Moorcroft, and other masters of British art pottery design.

Serving as the venue for this cultural event, the Ann Arbor Marriott at Eagle Crest is nestled on a 135 acre championship golf course and offers a tranquil park setting and resort-style amenities. The Ann Arbor Marriott will be transformed into a dazzling art gallery, displaying the finest in British ceramic and art pottery design.

Gregg Whittecar and Arron Rimpley, promoters for this international event and owners of Whitley Collection and Seaway China located in Doral, Florida, have been providing collectors around the world with the finest in Royal Doulton, Moorcroft, Wedgwood and other fine art pottery and ceramics. They have successfully organized and participated in numerous expositions throughout the world. The promoters are also authors of the book Royal Doulton: A Legacy of Excellence 1871-1945, depicting the important contributions made by the Doulton Company during the late 19th and early 20th century.

Dont Forget to R.S.V.P. To This Year's Premiere Royal Doulton Event & Exposition visit http://doultonevent.com

Here is a link that might be useful: The Premiere Royal Doulton Show and Exposition

o

Just have to put in my opinion here, based on experience. My great aunt used to collect RD plates and porcelain figurines, all fine quality, mint condition, hand painted. She thought she was making an investment, paying an average of 30-40 dollars per plate with certificate of authenticity and hundreds for each figurine (we called them "the girls"). She loved them, proudly displayed them in her home.

We were shocked when we tried to sell these. Here's the problem. Ebay has devalued virtually all collectibles. It's a matter of supply and demand. A plate that may have cost 35 dollars in 1975 may only sell for 9.99 on ebay today, or not sell at all. It's true.

Some answers for your questions. Yes, these were often sold in magazines. They may be genuine. It's common for them to have a hand painted (in gold or otherwise) number item or signature even tho it doesn't match the other printing. "Franklin mint recommends" can be common too. If you really like them, buy them. But don't hope to make a killing.

o

I have a friend who collected Alan Jackson (country singer) plates through the Franklin Mint with the exact idea as your great Aunt, Jessie. She recently asked me to research them and see what they have gone "up to" in value. I had a hunch she wouldn't be happy with the search results, but looked them up for her anyway hoping I might be wrong.
I wasn't, and all these plates that she bought for $40 -$60 each are now worth a few dollars to a collector. It's a shame that sites like Ebay have given the world such a glut of stuff that only the rarest of items has any value. As a buyer, Ebay and sites' similar are great, but if you are trying to recoup money it's not going to happen.
Glad you didn't get ripped off on your plates, MBoston!
Suzan J

o

Unfortunatly just because the seller of these plates call them collectables doesn't make them collectable except to the first buyer. Someone else has to want them and they probably bought them when they were in the magazines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here