Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My latest curb shopped mosaic window

Posted by techsupport8 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 20:33

I found another stash of windows at the curb recently. Here's my latest glass on glass mosaic on one of the windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: webshots window

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My latest curb shopped mosaic window

Oh wow! That's gorgeous! You are very talented.

o

That's beautiful!!

Can you give us the basic directions for doing this? You glue the glass pieces onto the glass, then grout?

o

Can you give us the basic directions for doing this? You glue the glass pieces onto the glass, then grout?

In essence, that's all you have to do. There are a bunch of different ways to go about it depending on what you like and are able to do, but yes, glue the glass onto the window (I use Weldbond Glue) and when it's good and dry, grout it.

o

Hey, Tech, I love your window! It's very, very pretty! Where do you get the patterns for your pictures? Do you design them yourself or are you copying a picture, is it a real life scene? And I know how to get the straight edges of your pieces but what about the rounded edges as in the red flowers? Are you cutting them or do you just nip away until they're round? I hope to tackle one of these one of these days!

Barbara

o

hi,
thank you for the pic. another one .
did you ever try the glue I suggested ? I called a while back and the glass studio here sells this glass by the lb. would be a good deal , maybe some day. I still hope to do the fountain I want with flat marbles, thank you again very pretty
Rick

o

Rounded edges come from nip, nip, nipping until they are just right.

I don't use a pattern. I usually draw vague outlines on the back side of the glass to remind me where I wanted to put a stalk or a bunch of flowers.

No Rick, I haven't had a chance to try out your recommended glue. I have several gallons of Weldbond to use up first.

Thank you all for the kind words. Love the encouragement.

o

Rick, I don't remember the glue you suggested...could you say again??? Please? Is there any place to buy Weldbond besides Ace Hardware and online? I'm just not happy using the GE silicone ll and we don't have an Ace Hardware in our town. No, I don't want to buy glue online! Lol

Barbara

o

Unfortunately Barbara, I "think" Weldbond has an exclusive contract with Ace Hardware in the states. It's made in Canada (I believe) and I've never found it at any other Home Improvement or Hardware store here in WI.

I could buy it for you and ship it to you, but the shipping costs would be prohibitively expensive, I'm guessing.

o

Thanks for the offer, Tech, but I think you're right about the shipping costs! Next time we're in one of the cities I'll try to remember Ace Hardware. I didn't know that about them having an exclusive contract with Weldbond but it sure explains why I couldn't find it anywhere else! Well, dang!

Barbara

o

Techsupport8- That is a lovely window. You really are VERY talented!
Barbara - Does Ace Hardware have a website? Could they ship it to you? Just a thought.
We do have Ace Hardware stores here in Maine.
Joyce

o

Barbara - I checked the Weldbond site and they will ship a $10 bottle for $10 - basically doubling the cost of the glue!

Keep your eye out for Ace Hardware stores!

Here is a link that might be useful: Frank T Ross - Weldbond

o

I have seen Weldbond at Hobby Lobby. It is also on Ebay at about $8:50 per bottle with shipping depending on where you live. I don't know if there is a Hobby Lobby in your area or not. Good Luck!

o

Thanks, y'all! We are about 30 miles from the nearest Ace and Hobby Lobby so I will check in Ace this weekend. I did look in the Hobby Lobby last week and they didn't have it in this one.

Barbara

o

Hey Barb- I think we are in the same zone- I live in Plano- maybe I can get some Weldbond for you. We have several Hobby Lobbys and an Ace hardware here.Let me know how close we are!

o

Tech you are a true artist!!! It's all wonderful.

o

Amazing!!!!!!!

o

Tech---
You did it again....This one is super duper beautiful. You out did yourself! Are you gonna sell it? I may give this a try....I'll have to do a "sample try" on a smallish window first. I have a window that is in excellent shape for this but it is huge, it's 54 X 44. Too BIG for my first time! But I bet you could pretty it up with ease.

Keep up the great work as I LOVE to see your finished pieces. You are awesome.
Radd

o

Thank you all again - for the words of encouragement and praise. Yes, I do sell them occasionally, but they don't go cheap and not everyone wants to pay what I'm asking (I hope that doesn't sound snobby).

My neighbor is remodeling her kitchen and dining room and I just got her china cabinet doors . . . I can see a sort of room divider (hinged together)coming together with these glass doors. I'll keep you posted.

o

That is beautiful!
Having dabbled in stain glass,I can only imagine the work that goes into such a work of art.As for the pricing,Don't think you're a snob for asking a high price.No matter how high the price,you're probally still not charging enough.
One of a kind art objects of that quality are priceless in my opinion.

Eliza Ann

o

That is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I had ... first, the imagination to come up with a pattern and then ... the talent and discipline to create such a lovely picture.

o

That is a fabulous window! I was looking at some of your other work on your site as well, I have been inspired!
Question-Do you reinforce the glass in the window? It seems the extra weight of the mosiac glass and grout would make it very easy to break or crack, and lots of old windows are thin. Has this been a problem? I could see me shattering the thing to bits by pushing too hard when grouting.

o

Nope - never had a problem with breakage or shattering. I take into account what I'm grouting and go at it a little more gently than if it was made of something sturdier.

o

I want to ask, where do you buy the glass? Local or mail order? I really want to try glass mosaics but have not found the glass local, so I ordered some "broken glass scraps" mail order, they came in the mail today, and I'm happy with them but the shipping cost more then the glass! The "scraps" are bigger then I expected, I'm going to see if they sell smaller scraps, so I can get more variety.
PJ

o

Very nice work!

~Sandy~

o

I get scrap glass from several sources, art teachers, and folks on ebay. I cut what is too big down to the size I need. I do by some full sheets of things on sale at my local distributor, but it's gotta be a GREAT deal and a color I use a lot.

o

AWESOME!!!!

Linda

o

Someone suggested I check your windows for some ides for a hanging table light. All I can say is WOW!!!! I'm afraid of the weight of the extra glass and I don't think I would have the patience to snip away at the pieces. But more power to you, they are beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here