Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pine bookcase - I'm scared!

Posted by n2bach1 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 07 at 19:58

First of all, I enjoy reading this board and am totally amazed at what all you people do with stuff! I confess, I am a wannabe, but just don't quite have the courage to jump in and try. I posted earlier about painting a small table, have not done that one yet....now I've found a pine bookcase, not new, but looks (at least to me) in decent shape. It's actually a piece of furniture that I could use in my music room. I would LOVE to paint it black (like that game table make - over) but am still in a puzzle of exactly where to start...

For instance, would you sand it, or use liquid sandpaper? I've been reading about both. Which is easier? Then, what kind of paint to get the "lacquered,shiny" look? Then, do you put a clear finish over it?

Sorry to be so inquisitive, but I'm so new at this and I'm just not the type to go out, buy something, get a bunch of paint, etc, and do it. I guess I want to cut my losses as much as possible before I begin!

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pine bookcase - I'm scared!

Oh Hon, dont be scared. Unless its a priceless antique and quite frankly I dont find those often..... you can usually undo anything you dont like..... I am the queen of spray paint....so if it was me, I would either lightly sand or wipe down with liquid sandpaper and spray paint with a glossly or high gloss black paint. I've used all brands, even store brands with success. Start with a clean surface and apply lots of thin even coats..... Usually no need for a clear coat of any kind. Did several oriental theme pieces this way and it looked like lacquer. Very satisfied.

Good Luck and just jump in....

o

If for whatever reason you aren't into spray paint after a light sanding and some priming......I'd prime cause pine knots have a tendency to show thru after awhile use a glossy paint. Just make sure the brush you choose will work with the paint you buy. I like oil paint for furniture. It's a little tougher working with it cause you have to give it more drying time BUT it creates a tougher finsih for things that might get slid around on it.
Just remember if you do, do oil you need to buy cleaner for the brush and for yourself.

o

There is nothing to be scared of! Painting furniture is really easy and it's a simple way to change the look of a piece! You aren't hurting anything if you don't like how the piece looks now and if you hate the color, you can just repaint!

I don't sand anything unless it's rough and needs smoothed up. I would suggest priming just because it helps keep the paint on the wood a little longer, unless you like the distressed look. So prime and paint. Buy the black paint in whatever sheen you are going for and plan to do at least 2 coats, that way you have a good coverage. If you want, you can put on a coat of poly for even more protection over time. Just be careful with it for a bit because until the paint fully cures in about a month, it can end up knicked and scratched.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here