Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Birdcage renewed

Posted by lady_alicia (afinalword@aol.com) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 16:11

I had bought this birdcage at a thrift store for $3, I think. It was a mess, completely disgusting. Walked into the front door with it and thought my husband was going to commit me for buying such a thing. :) But then you'll see what I did with it....

BirdcageBefore

This year's planting arrangement (hard to see the cage!):

Birdcage

Last year's planting arrangement:

BirdcageFlowers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gigantic pics

Sorry about the gigantic pictures. Don't know how to make them smaller. ?? Got a new camera since the "before" birdcage picture.

o
RE: Birdcage renewed

Looks great! I like the idea.

o

Very cute! I love old bird cages, especially with flowers.

o

I love birdcages too. But I limited my garden to two of them so I didn't over do it. Here's the other one I did. Although, it was a Home Interiors decor item that I picked up for $1 and planted flowers in it. So technically it's not a birdcage. I cheated. :))

Thanks for the comments! I love seeing what everyone does with their treasures, so I like to share mine!

Miniature Petunias

o

Very cool!

o

I just bought that exact birdcage at Salvation Army !!
( The last pic ) I didn't know it was home interiors !
It's my $2.00 treasure . Right now , it's sitting on my craft room floor waiting for some inspiration .

************** Now I'm inspired ! **************

o

That's great! I love bird cages. I'm sure there are other things you can do with it. that was the first thing I thought of because I love putting different things in my garden. I always keep my eyes open for other ones in case these get too deteriorated from the weather. But I've had this one out for probably five years and it's doing pretty well. Never even painted it yet. I do take it down for the winter months, so that also helps. I just found a couple of small "treasures" at Goodwill yesterday. I'll see if I can take a picture and post it.

o

Dear Lady,

Lovely. Will you share what product/method you used to paint the cage?

Thanks for the idea.

A Girl Named Max

o

The one cage I did paint. I just scrubbed it really well with soap and water, took a wire brush to it. Then after it dried completely, I painted it with a Rustoleum primer, then I bought the Rustoleum spray paint in a copper finish. Now, I think the other one I'll do in a rust finish next year. Not sure yet. The Rustoleum paint does pretty good standing up to the elements.

For the pics of my treasures that I mentioned before, I just posted them as a separate posting.

o

The plantings are lovely.

I'm so glad that a dear little bird is no longer being tortured in that 1000-times too small, cramped, dirty cage.

Now the cage can bring joy and color instead of agony.

o

Very nice!!

o

It was a fun project to do. I think it would be great for kids to help out with.

And I forgot to mention above that I also put some of the green spagnum moss in it. I took clumps of it and immersed it in a bowl of water and would kind of squeeze it in my hand to get the excess water out, then I pressed it up against the bottom sides. I just repeated that the whole way around the inside of the cage. That way the dirt wouldn't fall out once I put it in. But I let the moss dry first before I put the dirt in and then it stayed molded. Then I added the soil and plantings. The only downfall to this is, like any pot, it needs watered every day because it dries out fast. But I love my bird cages!

Also, pick small flowers to put in them. The small Petunia-type flowers do well. I even mixed in some of my Signet Sunfire Marigold seeds because those have very small flowers. You want something that will come through easily. Bacopia Bluetopia I planted in one also. Lobelia would be a good one, but once the weather gets hot, it dies on me, so I don't plant it. :)

o

beautiful!!!! Now to find a birdcage!

o

Thanks. When I came home with that first cage, I thought my husband was going to commit me. He thought I was nuts for sure. It was so filthy and just gave us all the heebie jeebies. So I put it in my garage until I could hose it down out back and scrub it good. :) I was pleased with it when it was all done. It's really lasted a long time for me. Going on year number four. Not sure what I'll plant in it this year. I try something new every year. I think I did replace the moss last summer, but I was impressed with how long that lasted outside too. With all the sun, heat and watering, I was amazed at how well it held up.

I hope everyone posts their pics here if they renew an old cage! I'd like to find another one to do for my mom. So many ideas and projects and so little time..... :)

Alicia

o

Wow, what a presto chango! Love what you did with both cages but the first one has such a stunning transformation. Now I'll have to look for a birdcage. Although, since I hate constantly watering my planters, I'd probably plant succulents in mine. Thanks for the inspiration!

o

Thanks for bumping this up!
I love the copper color with the plants, so pretty.

I have another use which was suggested over at Garden junk which is to put a garden gnome that (who?) has his clothes painted with black and white stripes in a bird cage. Purple moon posted a pic of several "prisoner" gnomes and this was one of the suggestions. Check out the link if you like gnomes, or would like a good laugh!
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Captured gnomes at gardenjunk forum

o

Those garden knomes are too cute. LOL Love it! Thanks for sharing that.

The succulents idea is a good one for those that don't want to water every day. I'm sure there are many other things some creative minds could come up with out there! This was my best shot. :) I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

Now, off to my next project. If only my weather would warm up so I could spray paint the base coat! I can't wait to post it.....

Alicia

o

Just a thought! If you put plastic flowers in it, left the door open the birds might nest in it if you have trees to hang it. Or close the door, drill a small hole then the larger birds won't take over. Could keep squirrels out, but not snakes.

o

marie_ndcal, I had birds build a nest in some hanging planters so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd try to nest in one of these too. lol! When I wanted to water the plant, I had to knock on the pot and the mother house finch would fly out, I'd water around the nest and then she'd come back. She sure watched me closely while I was watering!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here