Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floor Lamp to Clothes Rack

Posted by brushworks (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 15:23

After ordering new custom made furniture for the bedroom, the wife and I have been shopping for a sturdy clothes rack to keep in the corner of the room. We don't like tossing clothes on the floor, bed or chair, especially if you're going to put them back on later. Everything I saw at the stores was either crooked or of poor value and priced from $99 to $139.

There was an old floor lamp stored in the basement that looked promising to me. After gutting it of electrical wire and switches, I proceeded to disassemble it, sand, prime and paint with textured spray paint.

The hooks are simple Amerock hooks available at HD. The protective sleeve around the base is a vinyl window trim. The topper was left over from an old patio umbrella. The base was already weighted with iron, which makes it nice and sturdy.

My cost in dollars was $15. Time 1.5 hours.

Stand alone.

Photobucket

At Work.

Photobucket

Vinyl Base Trim Detail. This was added to prevent any marring of wood floor.

Photobucket

Patio Umbrella Topper.

Photobucket

One more finish coat of paint and it will be ready to use in 24 hours.

Thanks for looking. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floor Lamp to Clothes Rack

Great save and it is beautiful. Always nice to see how someone has repurposed something

o

Wonderful! Old floor lamps are common and nice clothes racks are hard to come by. Thanks for showing.
Kathy

o

What a great re-do! You gave me an idea now on what to do with an iron base I purchased a year ago and an empty corner in our bedroom. I'm tired of tripping over the base sitting in my storage room. :) We always throw our clothes back on the bed and I hate that. I love your idea MUCH better.

Thanks for the idea and enjoy your new clothes rack!
Alicia

o

Great idea! Love the way it turned out!

o

That is a really great idea and it looks so neat.

Marylee

o

WOW! I'm impressed. Looks great!

o

Great recycling! Lovely piece of furniture. Looks like it cost more than the $139higher price you saw at store. Even looks like it could be an antique! TFS Jan

o

Thanks for the encouraging remarks.

It's getting used every day of the week. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here