SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

I *think* I'm a trash to treasure person . . .

silvamae
14 years ago

Hi all. I'm from the SG&M board. I lurk here from time to time and think you all are a creative bunch. Hope it's okay if I join you. My name's Silva and I have a lot of interest in Trash to Treasure as it applies to my mosaic work. I just finished a piece that I think really qualifies as T to T. A cyber-space friend from California dropped and broke a vase that had belonged to her grandmother. She adored her grandmother and misses her so much. She was devastated when she broke the vase. She shipped it to me to see if I could salvage it and she said if I couldn't, to just throw it away. My heart sunk when I unwrapped it. It was just a really thick heavy glass vase; the bottom third was solid glass. I had envisioned a ceramic vase that I could nip up and use to mosaic over a similarly shaped vase. Well, it sat around in the bottom of my kitchen cabinet for at least two years. Recently I found a little candle holder at a thrift shop, shaped like a pyramid. It might have been suspended in a metal hanger (pointy end down) but the hanger part was missing. I love pyramids so I bought it. I placed it over the opening of the vase, (pointy end up) and it fit perfectly. I glued the vase together, glued the pointy piece on top, mosaiced the whole thing with this wonderful stained glass, and converted it into an obelisk. Please click on the link to see pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Comments (9)

Sponsored