Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I *think* I'm a trash to treasure person . . .

Posted by silvamae (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 30, 09 at 13:11

Hi all. I'm from the SG&M board. I lurk here from time to time and think you all are a creative bunch. Hope it's okay if I join you. My name's Silva and I have a lot of interest in Trash to Treasure as it applies to my mosaic work. I just finished a piece that I think really qualifies as T to T. A cyber-space friend from California dropped and broke a vase that had belonged to her grandmother. She adored her grandmother and misses her so much. She was devastated when she broke the vase. She shipped it to me to see if I could salvage it and she said if I couldn't, to just throw it away. My heart sunk when I unwrapped it. It was just a really thick heavy glass vase; the bottom third was solid glass. I had envisioned a ceramic vase that I could nip up and use to mosaic over a similarly shaped vase. Well, it sat around in the bottom of my kitchen cabinet for at least two years. Recently I found a little candle holder at a thrift shop, shaped like a pyramid. It might have been suspended in a metal hanger (pointy end down) but the hanger part was missing. I love pyramids so I bought it. I placed it over the opening of the vase, (pointy end up) and it fit perfectly. I glued the vase together, glued the pointy piece on top, mosaiced the whole thing with this wonderful stained glass, and converted it into an obelisk. Please click on the link to see pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I *think* I'm a trash to treasure person . . .

Very cool Silva. That is very beautiful glass. what is it exactly?
kathy

o

Thank you, kathy. The glass is irreplaceable, I guess. I bought it on eBay last year from a man in Vancouver, who said it was from a stained glass factory there that closed. It is hand-poured, irregular shaped, different thicknesses, and every piece is a different color when held up to the light. I wish I had more, but I can't find it anywhere.

o

Finished it today and added new pictures to my blog. Will ship tomorrow.

o

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh --------- your creations are breathtaking !
You are in the right place here --- keep posting pics !

o

That is really beautiful...

o

Love the obelisks! I'm lucky in that there is a stained glass shop between where I live and where I work that sells scraps. I think it is fun to work with what you have instead of planning something out and then buying the colors/textures that you need. I really like your stairs too! Welcome to an inspiring group!

o

If I had a stained glass shop that handy, I would be in deep trouble. I have tons of glass already but cannot resist buying more scraps. Check out this trash to treasure steer - more info on my blog.
Benini

o

More about the cool stained glass I used on the obelisk. I should not have done this, but I did. I went way back on my eBay transactions and found the seller. I contacted them and they have crates of the stuff in their crawl space. Sigh. They are going to put together 50 pounds for me.....isn't my husband a saint? Not one word about the thousand pounds of glass I already have stashed in the garage. Okay, so anyway, I am going to do another trash to treasure project. These ugly old glass vases I am going to glue together like a totem and then mosaic it all with the cool stained glass and make it a priority that it is installed in a stable fashion. Unbelievably, I found three glass pointy thingies at Goodwill this week, so I now have the toppers for three of these creations. I will post pictures!

o

Please visit my blog to see the stained glass I've been talking about, and to see the beginning of my latest project, a glass totem made from various pieces found at thrift shops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's updated blog - next project

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here