Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another refinishing project

Posted by pegtn (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 07 at 10:20

Last month I had great success with stripping and refinishing some wooden tables and stools, so I was eager to finish the refinishing job on a little nightstand that I had been working on. It had about 4 layers of paint, which too forever to get out of all the little decorative carvings in the piece. I finally finished sanding it on Saturday, and was excited to see how it would look stained. LOL It looked terrible. So now I'm just going to sand it a little to give it some "tooth" and paint it again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another refinishing project

Many old pieces were painted because they were nothing special to begin with. Many have veeners rather than high grade wood thru out.
Several years ago I curb picked a dresser that someone had started to strip only to realize it wasn't a high grade wood all the way thru. the veener was missing in completely on some drawers. I brought it home as was. Sanded it, primed it then painted it using several shades of blue. It's now one of my favorite pieces.
sometimes it's not always the finsh product that we learn stuff from, sometimes it's the process and what it take to get to where it's really ours.

o

Carol, that is so very true!

And while stain is wonderful in many cases, some pieces really benefit from paint. Veneer pieces are a good example of that.

Peg, I hope you find the look you want with it. Based on the level of detail of the piece you describe, it sounds marvelous. And like a bit of paint in those nooks and crannies will bring out the detailing nicely. Best of luck to you!!

--Jenn

Here is a link that might be useful: My crafting/thrifting/vintage decorating blog

o

I was thinking about using a different color of paint in those nooks and crannies to highlight them. My mind is already racing with the possibilities of colors, or maybe even using a bit of wallpaper on the drawer.

o

You can use fabric on the flat surfaces too. There was a magazine not too long ago that had a dresser where they painted it a base color and the on each drawer used a different fabric print. It was absolutely stunning.

Highlighting with a contrasting color is a good idea too. Just go easy on the hioghlight color when you put it on....almost a dry brush approach works best.

o

Fabric on the drawer front is a great idea too!! I guess i need to decide if this is a piece i want to keep,and if so, where do i want to use it. If i'm just going to sell it, then i can paint or use whatever colors i want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here