Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Charcoal starter from juice can

Posted by chuckr30 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 10:07

I made a charcoal starter from a veggie juice can. Do you know how if you stack up your charcoal it gets going faster? That was the idea.

First, cut off top of can.

Next, Drill or punch with a churchkey, holes in the bottom of the can. Holes drilled should be 1/4 inch and every 1/2 inch. No need to cut out the bottom.

Next, I made a handle out of copper pipe. First I hammered it flat, then I made it into a D-shaped handle. Then I used rivets to attach it to the can.

Well I found a few things out.

- Copper from handle absorbs heat tremendously! Do not use copper next time. Buy allthread steel rod from hardware store and cut to length.

- Can did not hold enough coals even for my little grill and 4 burgers. Use a large coffee can next time.

- Charcoal still took 1 hour to get ready in the starter. Perhaps I did not have enough holes for oxygen to get to the coals. Drill 8 more holes 1/2 way up the can.

- Next time, when spraying the coals with lighter fluid, fill can 1/2 full, spray charcoal, then add rest of charcoal, and spray again. Light from bottom. I lit it from the top and it had a hard time lighting the bottom coals.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Charcoal starter from juice can

I love posts that tell "trial & error" . We can all learn from each other's mistakes. ( God knows I've made enough of my own ! ) Can you post pics ? I think I might like to make one of these ~~

Kathy

o

I do not have pics yet but I might work on getting some.

I think a coffee can would work better here as it would hold more coals.

I found some allthread at the exact size I need. Cost: $1us. I already had some wingnuts to hold the handle to the can.

o

I'll add my two cents worth. Cut a piece of hardware cloth so that it fits inside the bottom of the can and push it up about 2 inches. Pour the charcoal on top of that. Under that hardware cloth divider crumble 3 full size pages of newspaper.

Set it on the grate of your grill and light the newspaper. Don't use lighter fluid or any starter but the paper. Takes about 20 minutes to get fully started and no lighter fluid taste.

Weber makes these specifically for their grills and they work great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here