SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuckr30

Charcoal starter from juice can

chuckr30
16 years ago

I made a charcoal starter from a veggie juice can. Do you know how if you stack up your charcoal it gets going faster? That was the idea.

First, cut off top of can.

Next, Drill or punch with a churchkey, holes in the bottom of the can. Holes drilled should be 1/4 inch and every 1/2 inch. No need to cut out the bottom.

Next, I made a handle out of copper pipe. First I hammered it flat, then I made it into a D-shaped handle. Then I used rivets to attach it to the can.

Well I found a few things out.

- Copper from handle absorbs heat tremendously! Do not use copper next time. Buy allthread steel rod from hardware store and cut to length.

- Can did not hold enough coals even for my little grill and 4 burgers. Use a large coffee can next time.

- Charcoal still took 1 hour to get ready in the starter. Perhaps I did not have enough holes for oxygen to get to the coals. Drill 8 more holes 1/2 way up the can.

- Next time, when spraying the coals with lighter fluid, fill can 1/2 full, spray charcoal, then add rest of charcoal, and spray again. Light from bottom. I lit it from the top and it had a hard time lighting the bottom coals.

Comments (3)

Sponsored